Anyone here a handy man?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ammotroop, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I do not want to hire one, and I am going to try and do it myself.

Here is the skinny! My dog stays in the Garage when she comes in from outside and is dirty or all wet. And if it is raining we bring her in too. She sufferes from fear of thunder/gunshots/fireworks, to the EXTREME.

We were gone during a time when she was in the garage, and it was thunder storming and she decided to chew up the opening side of the door frame! I mean it is really bad. So I need to replace either the whole door frame or just that part. I can take pictures if this is confusing.

Looking online at Lowes, I do not see any door frame kits for sale. I might have to call around to find one.

Anyways, does anyone do this for a living or are they good at it? Thanks!

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Dude...where do you live?

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Throw up a pic. It is probably something you will have to build.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Doorframe kits are fine if they're going into a perfectly sized hole.If not it's difficult to get the finished job to look professionally done.

A lumber yard will probably make one to a custom size for you without charging a lot extra.Will save you a lot of drama and look a lot better than a kit when finished.

5. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Why don't you take the doggie to the groomer, get her all cleaned up, and make her a permanent inside furbaby?

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Go get yourself a pre-hung door... but first remove the old door, frame and all. I take it this is an exterior door? No problem. Upgrade. Get a steel door. More secure and doggie resistant.

Measure the raw hole left by the removal of the old door. Hopefully it will be a standard raw size. Take a height, length, depth measurements. Note whether you want a left/right hand door.

Go to Home Depot/Lowes, find a door that is close. Don't get one that is too big. That's bad. Fit the pre hung door into the raw hole. Note how much bigger and where the hole is. "shrink" the hole to fit if necessary. Do this with lumber. Once you have the hole matching the door, shim it level with shims. Screw the frame off securely. Make sure it opens and closes. Fill in gaps with polyurethane foam aka "great stuff"... be sure to get the kind that is SPECIFICALLY for windows and doors as the other can expand too much and cause problems with operation.. Be sure to use some good fasteners, i mean dipped screws. Really meaty, beefy m'f'ers. It's worth it.

If you need to finish it out, use door casing. Miter it around. If you have block walls you can get quickcrete mortar mix that's a masonry cement and graded sand blend and push it into the areas where the wood was put in.

Also, on the exterior, wide door/window tape, which is a rubber weather stripper is good to use if you have siding. It's difficult to apply but not impossible. Great moisture barrier though.

Hope it helps. If you want any further advice or have pics, let me know.

GOOD LUCK! :thumb:

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

My neighbor shoots squirrels with a shotgun. Gunshots are not entirely uncommon to be heard in Tennessee. (not that I have any idea where ammotroop lives)

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

oh, and this website is a valuable resource.

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I would tend to agree with SEC on this. If you'd post a picture, I or others could give more advice.

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

TTIWWP.

Pics, please. Is it the jamb? The door? Interior? Exterior? Just the brick mould? Will Thompson's water putty give the same result? Is this a problem that will recur? What about vinyl mouldings?

Having people 'describe' carpentry problems is like diagnosing a car by listening to people make car noises.... "it went 'vrooom chucka chucka chucka' doesn't help a mechanic at all. In this case, I know you're not talking about the door frame because you can't SEE the door frame.... it's covered up by sheetrock, moulding and the door jamb.

Terms are important: you cannot interchange 'ceiling fan', 'attic fan' and 'whole house fan', even though all three are in or near the roof.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar