Anyone else wishing the Titans waited to draft a QB?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by KelvisKblam, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KelvisKblam

KelvisKblam TITANic Nerd

Yeah, in full disclosure, RGIII was kind of the guy who got me thinking about this first and foremost, he seems sharp. But clearly he'll be gone before the Titans draft anyhow.

Barkley could be good, and could be a value pick in the draft, but will probably need some development. At least he's playing well his senior season though, unlike Locker. He kind of seems like a douche though (Barkley, that is, not based off of any particular evidence).

In fairness, the rest of the bunch are probably more or less on par with Locker in terms of NFL-readiness.

I'm with you that we need to stock up on weapons for Locker though. I hope Britt comes back full strength and DWill continues to grow, but I still think they need to draft another big, physical WR.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I'm having a really hard time seeing where this is coming from. Is it just residual concerns from before the draft?

From what we've seen of Locker so far, he looks fantastic. He threw accurately and he showed no trouble reading the defense. Heck, that was supposed to be one of his strengths going in to the draft. Until we see him for an extended period of time, I don't think it's fair to say that he needs work on his pocket passing.

Locker was the best rookie quarterback in the pre-season and he was fantastic for the short time he played in Atlanta. Just because the Titans are committed to developing him slowly (in my opinion, the right way) doesn't mean that anyone should have second thoughts about drafting him.

I am still thrilled that the Titans took Locker where they did and I wouldn't change anything if I could do it over again. The fact that the team seems to have found good (if not great) defensive starters after the first round (McCarthy, Ayers, Klug) makes it even better.

• High Five High Five x 6
  3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Sounds like a resounding NO. Don't believe the hype of all the QBs coming out this year. We won't be drafting in the top ten this year anyway so even if we had waited we wouldn't even get a shot at the top QBs.

Locker is a stud and it looks like he's paying attention and learning just like we wanted him to. After seeing him rally against the Falcons it made me wonder if we'd be in better position had he started the season and we used the money we spent on Hasselbeck to get us a starting caliber WR. Hindsight is always 20/20 of course. Hasselbeck started off just fine and has now looked like KFC at times since.

4. madeupdreams

madeupdreams Starter

No.

Whatever the fabled "IT" is, Locker has it. He's a leader with the intangibles that this organization has been looking for since we lost Mac. There's always the possibility that he doesn't pan out, but I'm pretty confident for our future.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Need I remind everyone that it was Locker that Hasselbeck credits for rejuvenating him in TN?

If we didn't draft Jake Locker, who knows what Matt Hasselbeck is doing right now. I really do believe pairing those two guys together was the best thing this team has done since aggressively pursuing Eddie George back in 1996.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Banger21

Banger21 Camp Fodder

I'm very happy with the Titans drafting Locker. Like some of you have said, he is getting 1 year of experience ahead of any of the guys you mentioned available next year. Even if the majority of it is in practice, he got his feet wet in ATL and is learning everyday behind Hasselbeck and the coaches.

The other big thing is the way Ayers, Casey, McCarthy, and Klug have turned out - what else would you have wanted us to get at the #8 pick this year? Miller, Petersen, and Darieus were all gone. And the guys we got are having great rookie seasons

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Do you think the Packers regret taking Rodgers when they had a QB and passing on Barrett Ruud or Lofa Tatupu? They certainly could have benefited sooner by drafting a LB.

8. KelvisKblam

KelvisKblam TITANic Nerd

Admittedly, those concerns are coming from a small sample size, as are our opinions that he has looked good. I bring those up because it seems like more often than not they've had Locker rolling out of the pocket to throw. If I recall correctly, he also threw a couple of balls that could/should have been INT's vs Atlanta.

All of that being said, don't get the wrong idea. I am happy that Locker is a Titan and am behind him and the team 100%. I also agree that developing him slowly is absolutely the right thing, even if at times I find myself fantasizing about RGIII in a Titans' uni (I know, wouldn't happen anyway) or us having Barkley sit behind Hasselbeck and JJ Watt or Ryan Kerrigan on our D line.

9. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

if i'm not mistaken... fairley was still there and i was so excited when he fell to us... only to pick locker later on.... that annoyed me for about 5 minutes (with all the boos and huhs? from the crowd) but after that, i'm extremely happy that we got him...

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If we're being honest- Jake has had a couple fluke plays that have made him look great.

He still doesn't throw from the pocket, so that's a concern.

I think he'll be fine. But people acting like he's looked "great" so far are only looking at his completed passes and ignoring his incompletes. He didn't complete even 50% of his passes in ATL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar