Any piano players?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alzarius, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

There are those piano apps for portable devices. Maybe give one of those a try.

When it comes to writing music, I'm sure everyone does it differently but rarely do I "hear" a riff in my head and apply it to the guitar. New stuff always comes from sitting and picking - then a little bell goes off when you come up with something you like.. After I've combined a couple of riffs I'll try to juxtapose a vocal harmony against the music. That's the the part that kinda happens in my head.
    One thing every song writer should know is to always record anything you come up with that you like. They disappear so easily otherwise..

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

3. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I tried one of those but it kept having problems picking up the notes. My hands and wrists would hurt because I'd have to play so hard. The best one, imo, only lets you pay yearly.

Still loved the app but it was causing too many technique problems. After that app, i knew how to play basic, easy tunes by just reading the sheet music.

I'm going to sign up and take 4-8 lessons and see how it goes.

As for writing music, it's kind of weird. I have issues and one of them causes my mind to run at 100 mph. Two nights ago I sat in front of the piano and created a pretty damn nice melody by doing just what you said.... Play, listen, and create.

Other times... It comes out of nowhere and I get this desire where I want to create it so everyone else can hear it. Sometimes it's a song, other times it's a symphony. Sounds weird now that I type it out. Oh well.

You are right about recording it though. I lost it the next day and haven't been able to get it back lol. Definitely recording stuff from now on.

6 months to a year from now I'll be posting stuff I created on here so I can get some opinions. I keep having to remind myself that I cannot learn this instrument in a few months. (or years for that matter)

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hey, while I am as passionate as anyone regarding football, one of the things I do for a living is teach and play/perform music. So some advice (since I have no idea where you are in your journey of learning)...

Use a method book such as https://www.amazon.com/John-Thompsons-Modern-Course-Piano/dp/0877180059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493322246&sr=8-1&keywords=piano+book+thompson.

While you might want to discount a method book, most of the problems I see with students who try to learn things themselves is that they don't start with proper technique, don't know enough music theory and just try to learn songs they like so there are gaps in their technical development. At some point, you hit that wall because you can't go on until you fix those issues.

So playing thru a method book will work on filling in the gaps...especially from a double hand coordination standpoint. Even if the initial books are somewhat easy, play thru them anyway. it'll be good for you. That's not to say ONLY practice a method book. Do a page or pages out of the method book and work on a measure(s) of a piece you like. Never try both hands unless you can play the right hand correctly and then the left hand correctly. Only then, work thru each measure with both hands. Work one measure at a time til you have completed a line. Then try to play the whole line and you'll see if it's perfect or you need to go back and re-work a measure(s). My general rule is to get it right once, then right 5x, then right 5x in a row. People tend to play it right once and then move on and can't understand why sections they have played correctly keep messing up at other times. Just because you get a basketball in the net once doesn't mean you'll get it in everytime. Consistency and perfection are the keys (no pun intended!).

If I were you, I'd pick up the method book first and then maybe the other books (ABSRM) to challenge and give you more breadth and technique in your music knowledge and playing ability. Songs are built off scales and chords and the ability to play them is vital...but not just in scale form, but in broken scales, arpeggios, etc.

As far as songwriting goes, get down some chords. I write songs by messing around as others do til I find a riff, chord, chord progression or melody that I like and I build the rest around that. In one of my guitar classes, I teach them the first guitar chord progression I ever figured out anmd let them use those chords to come up with their own song/chord progression. Some students write whole songs and others just try to come up with something interesting. Record everything and have FUN with it! Sometimes you come up with something you think is cool and when you listen to it a week later you decide it's nothing good. other times, it's great!

Music is fun (or should be so make it so). I would strongly suggest you get lessons from a professional teacher - if only a few to make sure your hands and figures have proper technique.

Any questions, feel free to ask. But I have taken way too much time away from my draft preparation to write this so....back to football!!!

For now:)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Alzarius

@Gut

My first book is Alfred's all in one adult class. I'm not sure if that's similar to the one you posted or not but I think it's been ok. I'll look for the one you posted this weekend when I go back to Sam Ash.

As from where I'm at.... I started March 16th. I know 5 chords and can properly play them. 4 scales so far. And I can play anything basic from the C position looking at sheet music. (Jungle Bells. Ode to Joy. Mary eats little lambs. Ect. Simple stuff like that)

While im not playing, I found a college Music Theory textbook online that I downloaded.

I'm a research nut. One of the first things I read was that if I screwed up I'm the beginning, I'd have to relearn so I've avoided practicing things I really want to play until I can look at the sheet music and play it. I'm 99% sure my hand and body posture is correct.

Other than that, I'm kind of just peeing in the wind. (one main reason I made this thread) The past couple days I've convinced myself to get a few lessons. The teacher available is amazing and she can put me on a clear cut path, which is what I think I need.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I'm a researcher by nature (if you haven't noticed by now) too. One thing I'd suggest to you is consistent practice. Practicing every day for shorter periods of time is better than playing 3 hours for 1 day. Also, strive to make everything perfect before you go on. Music is one of those things where 90% correct is awful!

And always remember this. Practice does NOT make perfect!

PERFECT practice makes PERFECT!!!

BTW, I came up with that when I was a young teacher in my teens. Only recently I discovered, there is a football icon (fittingly) who came up with it before me though I never knew it was a quote from him (he has many others).

The quote is actually from Vince Lombardi!!! So take it to heart.

One last piece of practicing advice comes from the great Itzak Perlman (a violin player but works for all instruments). If you want to learn quickly, practice slowly. If you want to learn slowly, practice quickly.

Have fun!

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

I can still play, for the most part, The Pink Panther by memory... even though I gave up piano approximately 27 years ago.

Wish I could go back to tell my 7th grade self to MAINTAIN!!

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. kstone

kstone Starter

One bit of advice is just stay constant with practicing. For example if you don't have much time to practice in a week it's best to do 10 mins every day then doing 30 mins a couple times a week.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Alzarius

I start lessons Monday :banjump:

People in this area are pretty damn lucky. While searching, we got some damn nice tutors in the area. The one Im with has toured with Demi Levato, Miley Cyrus, Christina Perri, and All American Rejects. Also has been on Conan, Ellen, and The Tonight Show.

Not that I am fans of them but thats a hell of a lot better than the original, church piano player I was considering.

10. Alzarius

Well what do you know. After my first lesson, part of my "homework" was 3 scales lol.

Nailed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar