Any guitar players here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OhioTitan, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

And it's true that a good guitarist is good on any guitar, and a bad one is bad on any guitar, Jack White can string up a makeshift instrument out of junk and rock it out, and probably 40-60 percent of the people who own Fenders/Gibsons do so only for bragging rights and can hardly play, or they think owning the big-namer is somehow going to improve them as a player. Not hardly

Humbuckers have their place for sure, obviously Iommi, BB King, Joe Perry, and thousands of others have been doing quite well for themselves with humbuckers, I'm just on a single-coil kick right now, especially for the lower-gain setups. Plus you can have a lot more fun with upgrading strats because the parts are so easy to find, and I love the fact that the guts of it are attached to the pickguard, which makes messing with wiring a LOT easier. Strats are very "tinkerer friendly"

And that's what's interesting on Fender/Gibson's forums respectively. One HAS to be better, not many of them concede that they are both solid brands and it is a matter of taste completely. Both brands have their share of legends in all typed of music.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

P90's lies somewhere between traditional single coil and humbucker territory but have nuances that can't be reproduced with any other p/u..

I'd say the last three Green Day records were done entirely w P-90 Les Paul Jrs though Johnny Thunders has the truest P90 sound I've heard.
    This D4 video is 100% P-90 (these guys picked that Johnny Thunders sound to the bone). Not sure what p/u's are shown in the vid but this was definitely recorded using P90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoAXIMTIa7o

Mike Ness always plays P90 guitars - which you can see here as almost reaching humbucker territory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOJY4NXYzM

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Brand allegiance is fierce in those wacky forums. It all depends on what you want out of your instrument. Both companies have made their share of awesome and their fair share of garbage over the years.
    Right now if I was to invest real money into a guitar it would probably be a Mosrite.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Guitarist in one of my bands plays a '53 LP with P90s. Nice Santana tone, which is good....because that band plays a LOT of Santana. And Allman Bros.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Ya, seems like from the vids that they sound like humbuckers with just a bit of single coil high end. If I hadn't known better, I'd assume they were humbuckers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar