Any chance GM....... and Jeff Fisher..???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Thank God that never happened.

2. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I heard somewhere that Culpepper didn't want to come here, I can't really blame him I think everyone knew that we were going to take a QB in the draft and that anyone we might pick up through FA would just be temporary.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

This appears to contradict what you say in the next paragraph that Reese ISN'T the final decision maker. Again...those two things both can't be true. Which one is correct? If you're the GM for a sports franchise, if you can't sign, extend and cut players, you don't manage the team. So who managed the team, Reese or Diamond/Underwood? Considering Reese is the GENERAL MANAGER and the others have little scout/personel knowledge, we can guess that Reese MUST have been the guy making the decisions. After all, was it Diamond or Underwood or Reese that go to the scouting combine and all the Pro Personel day workouts to evaluate talent?

If he decides on the personel, then he's responsible for the personel....good and bad.

Jeff Fisher and Reese say a lot of things that can be taken with a grain of salt...first of all. More likely, Diamond or Underwood now are there to help with the cap side of things...like we have this much room this year, we need to address these players here, we'll have this much room here so if we sign a guy now we could do this or that or we have x amount of money we can payout in signing bonuses this year. Having just read through 2 in depth books on two different teams, the Capologist VP's didn't control the team's personel, the GM did (except in NE where Belicheck gets what he wants). If Reese wasn't the final decisionmaker, what was his job?

Rather than write another 8 pages of this, I'll boil it down to...on the one hand you say he controls personel (makes the decisions) but in the next you say it's someone else's call (meaning someone else makes the decision since the contract is the final decision). It can't be both because if you're not the final decision maker on personel (in general), then you don't manage the personel - which is the job of a GM.

Fisher BAILED on Volek? I think you have it the other way around. Volek was under contract to this team and demands a trade because of some competition??? THAT'S professionalism! Fisher didn't demand that Reese trade Volek when they brought in Collins...VOLEK did!

Fisher and the staff apparently wanted a vet backup QB. Reese didn't get him one (even though Volek is breakable). After seeing that Volek wasn't doing everything in his power to be the best starting QB possible, what was Fisher supposed to do...play him anyway with NO backup?

And as far as Collins is concerned, you think his ability to start a game is the same after practicing for two weeks as it is with significantly more time? If not, then getting KC at the last minute HURT the team MORE than it helped it. You wanna blame Fisher for wanting a vet backup, but it's NOT Reese's fault he got him one way too late?

Gut

4. Gut... my last post couldn't possibly be clearer. There is no contradiction whatsoever and I can't even fathom your confusion:

"Reese was generally the decision maker in terms of personnel"

"Underwood said he was behind the overall cap planning and apparently had a large role in the cap side of the contracts. No doubt Reese had an input, but he wasn't the final decision maker there."

If you don't want to trust what Underwood himself said about his own job, what else can I say to convince you that 2+2=4?

Personnel and cap planning are 2 entirely different roles. As a simplified example, if Underwood says here's your budget and Reese does the rest, I don't see what conflict is...

What competition? Volek got benched due to the blow up he had with Chow and Fisher. Immediately afterwards, they signed Collins. Signing Collins had zero impact on Volek's demise. Volek did that himself. He might have gotten a push over the cliff by Fisher and Chow to force the issue, but Collins wasn't signed until afterwards because Reese didn't see the need to sign Collins when they already had Volek at the starter until Young was ready.

Fisher and Reese disagreed on the need for a veteran backup. That doesn't mean they needed to sign Collins sooner. It's was a question of whether he was necessary at all. Had the relationship between Volek and the coaches not imploded there would have been no need for Collins at all. How could Reese possibly have predicted that meltdown?

5. No question they were looking for a new starter over Volek. But then they drafted VY and that was that. Reese felt that Volek was good enough to start until Young was ready so there was no need to get Collins as long as they had a reasonable starter.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

incorrect

VINCE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE JAGS GAME

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think the front office had any idea when the drafted Vince he would step in as early as he did. If Collins had of played well, I think they would have been content to do what they repeatedly said they were going to do which was sit Young and bring him along slowly.

If the intension was to have Young in there by game four, it would make no sense to bring Collins in town for just four games.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I think that is the first time I have ever seen you make a grammatical mistake.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there's another one :ha:

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's piling up now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar