Any chance GM....... and Jeff Fisher..???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

We've gone 12 rounds over Fisher before so no need to restart that fight. But in short, you're simplifying the stats to favor your argument. The FACT is, Fisher inherited a terrible team (when he first took over the team) and with the salary dump...has inherited another terrible team which is currently being rebuilt. Do you blame Billick for a losing season after the Ravens dumped their team? No. No coach can win with NO PLAYERS. So you have to put his record into context (the talent of the team...or at least a realistic evaluation of the talent). So you keep mentioning since 99...how about a year by year evaluation. If you discount the rebuilding years and count from the year AFTER they hit 8-8 (I think 1997) and discount the second dump, he doesn't exactly have a bad record. And keep in mind, at the height of their talent, the Titans were a power in the AFC and Fisher was only the 5th coach in NFL history to have back to back 13-3 seasons (so it's not like everyone else is doing it). You can certainly make your point that you think he should have done more.

My criticism is that he has NOT changed Coordinators when they are ineffective (exactly what eventually got Dungy 'fired' from TB)...see Les Steckel and Jim Schwartz.

But some of your criticism is also unfounded. When has he exceeded expectations? How about totally wrecking the Jacksonville Jaguars...a team perceived by most to be BETTER than the Titans and stomping on them! We played an AFC Championship game (or was it a divisional game) in there house with THEM being favored and won. And we got so used to winning that Fisher even said something to the effect that going to play IN Jacksonville was a home field advantage for US!

I think that is one example. Another would be the Super Bowl itself. The team was waffling and then Blaine Bishop went down and the Titans could have totally fallen apart. But Fisher got the entire team together and fought back to tie the game.

Well...again you're hedging your 'evidence.' No one this past year would have traded Peyton Manning or Tom Brady for VY so using his 'Pro Bowl' as evidence of greatness lacks a certain ring of truth. Truth be told - as much as I'm ecstatic that VY is our new franchise QB, he wasn't voted to the Pro Bowl. And while we had a Pro Bowl QB in McNair last year...same thing. He's not on the same level as a Manning or Brady. Add in a terrible D (ranked LAST OVERALL) and you're not going very far. If you could, how come Manning hasn't won the Super Bowl every year for the last 6 seaons? They've had not one but at least 3 Pro Bowlers at key offensive positions and Manning was co-league MVP in 2003...and yet he didn't win it either...with a much better D.

So I understand what you're saying, but you're a little over the top in making your point. It'd be a better argument put into context. However, you have not heard me overly praise Fisher when we win. I've been on Schwartz' case since 3 years ago and ramped it up prior to this season. And yes, I've included Fisher in the criticism for keeping him....and it is a KNOCK on Fisher.

Gut

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yeah, but who was the coach that got is into that situation?

I think you prove Roll's point succinctly, people credit Fisher for getting the team back from 0-5, but don't blame him for getting the team to 0-5 to begin with.

3. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

You're right, I don't give Fisher credit for getting us to 0-5, I blame Kerry Collins for getting us to 0-3 and the simple fact that we had to start a rookie QB against two of the top teams in the league for getting us to 0-5. I do agree tho that Fisher doesn't really deserve a whole lot of credit for getting us out of that hole, the only decision he made that led directly to us getting out of that hole was putting VY in.

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Yeah, him actually coaching the players had nothing to do with it :suspect:

5. we got out of 0-5 and finished .500 because of vince, nuff said

6. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I'm sure that had something to do with it, but without VY as the catalyst, I really don't think we would have come out of the season with more than 3 or 4 wins.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and a shuffling of the o-line and a much better running game.

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

that was necessary because of injury

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, but it still happended. i didnt give credit to fisher for it, i was just pointing out it wasnt ALL vince.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Oh don't say that. The groupies with carpet burnt knees will blast you for it.

It was ALL Vince. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar