Any chance GM....... and Jeff Fisher..???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

A million dollars in Nashville goes much farther than a million dollars in Seattle.

If he doesn't understand this, then he does not need to be negotiating contracts for us.

But I suppose it depends on how little more the offer is...

2. SuperFreak90

SuperFreak90 Starter

This GM contract has got to get done soon or the Titans are in deep trouble.

3. Realistically, they have people in place to do the work (Underwood, Snead, Fisher), but of course they want an official GM in place.

4. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

[QUOTE=Fisher hasn't been impressive as a coach since 1999

Are you crazy? He went 13-3 in 2000, 11-5 in 2002, and 12-4 in 2003. Then we went into cap hell and the team has suffered. After two rough seasons, we were a game from the play-offs this season and perhaps one of the hottest teams in the league at the end of the year. How can you say he has not been a good coach for since 1999. What constitutes good?

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Slackers like Schobel, Calmus and Boiman now have rings.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Jeff Fisher will not settle for $5M/year. He's going to have to average $6M+ to stay. He's asked for seven.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

How did Calmus get a ring? Wouldn't they be afraid it'd break his finger? da dum chi!

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Me thinks there is a bit of a powerplay going on with several possibilities - most of which are bad.

First, Bud doesn't want to 'Show Fisher Da Money' when he ALSO knows Cowher might be available next year and it's a 'What have you done for me lately' league. Fisher probably wants top dollar (as now the longest tenured head coach and having 'successfully' rebuilt the Titans.

Second, if Reinfeldt doesn't feel Bud is making him a competitive offer, that does not bode well for MANY other things (like free agency). It may also be that there is a discussion of what power Reinfeldt has over Fisher and HIS coaching staff. This could also be over who has the power in the draft and or the direction the team will take in the coming years.

Suppose Bud wants to 'save' some money and mostly build through the draft. That would affect the perception of Reinfeldt and how quickly he could further get this team to the top. Any GM going into this season wants an open checkbook because there is some very high quality talent available that can immediately upgrade a team....for the right price. Remember, 2 top tier players could command as much as $30mil in combined signing bonus!

I hope there are none of these important issues are the sticking point for Fisher or for a new GM. However, I hope there is one point Bud won't back down on....ACCOUNTABILITY. Fisher, his coaching staff, and the GM all need to be accountable for what they bring to this team. There can be no free ride if we are to build a Super Bowl championship team.

Gut

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Adam..

I'm not disagreeing with you but since 99 fisher has had as many bad teams as playoff ones. Since 99 we have had 3 winning seasons, 3 losing seasons and an 8-8 year..

Since 99 fisher's post season record is 2-3. very average isn't it?

When there has been adversity fisher's team loses. He never takes a difficult situation and delivers surprising results. Many people you included make excuses for when we lose but give fisher credit when we win..

Fisher's best job was in 2001 when he got an injury riddled team to 7-7 after 14 games. But then knowing that we were eliminated from the playoffs we quit and lost the last 2 games to the lowly browns and bengals..

I guess what i'm saying is that it is a mixed bag with this coach. We went 8-8 this year because we had 8-8 talent. Doesn't hurt to have a pro bowl qB. 2 straight years fisher has had a pro bowl QB..

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

0 - 5 is not a difficult situation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar