Another Vy post, but a good question

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bored1, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

A bit off topic, but are we ever going to see LenDale and CJ in the backfield together? That would keep the defense honest, and they couldn't key so easily on one. LenDale has no chance most times he's in there.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Here's something to chew on:

In 2008, Collins averages:
    57.6 comp %
    6.4 ypc
    0.84 TDs
    0.61 turnovers
    78.7 passer rating
    193 yards offense avg.

In 2007, Young averaged:

62.3 comp. % <-- higher
    6.7 ypc <-- higher
    0.8 TDs <-- equal
    1.33 turnovers <-- double
    71.1 passer rating <-- lower
    196 yards offense avg. <-- equal

I found a lot of this surprising. I think the big difference are the turnovers Young made. It had a direct impact on his passer rating as well. Also, I think Collins does go down field more and tends to throw the ball away which makes the completion percentage skewed a bit.

I'm not using these numbers to make a case for either QB. I just thought they were interesting.

Remember, Dinger did add a new passing offense this season. I think it was much easier for Collins to learn and Young struggled with it. By now, he's hopefully learned it and should be much more prepared going into '09 if he dedicates himself to the game.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

Something that we have to consider is that Vince makes mistakes trying to make plays because that's what he's done all his life and it has worked for him. I think last year was the first time he realized that things don't always go his way and that he needs to evolve to become a top QB in the NFL. This year he hasn't really had the chance to prove that he can correct something that hasnĀ“t been working due to the extremely high expectations set on him by his rookie year. Kerry, on the other hand, plays to not make mistakes which is valid too, but in the playoffs at one point we will need a play maker not somebody playing it safe.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

So are you saying that we need a new Coach? Sounds like you just described Fisher to a tee, he always turns it up just a little too late, rides that conservative brake as long as he can.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It goes back to what Fisher/Dinger wants from the QB in their offense. On the most part, it's take care of the football and take the pressure off the run game by stringing together short passes.

We've seen Collins move away from that some this season. In Chicago, he was very successful. Not so much last week.

6. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

I think Fisher is a very smart coach. His philosophy is try to control what is in your hands to control. He understands his players limitations and tries to exploit their talents. That's why he was so patient with Vince. He knew he could make a mistake at any point in the game just as he could hit a homerun. He took out Vince not because of the mistakes he was making, but because he lost his confidence. Play makers cannot lose that.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

good post. When does Fisher get in a fistfight with Dinger on the sidelines:)
    I said RUN the damn ball! But Jeff, it's 3rd and 12!

8. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Yep, he's been inconsisent the last couple of weeks, but name me one NFL quarterback who hasn't at some point this year. McNabb (benched), Warner, Brees, hell even Peyton has had a couple tough games. Vince was flat out terrible EVERY single week of the 2007 season.

Look, I'm not saying he's an MVP, or even the leader of this team, because he's not. I was in disbelief when I turned on ESPN one morning a few weeks back and saw his head and NFL MVP attached in the same thought. That's insane. But, on a smash mouth team, the quarterbacks role is to protect the ball and basically be an on the field coach. Vince had 9/17 TD/INT last year, while even taking into account Kerry's recent struggles, he STILL has 11/7 TD/INT. I believe those numbers DIRECTLY correlate with the difference in last year's and this year's record.

I have a feeling the quarterback who is clicking the best down the stretch with his receivers will have a significant advantage in the playoffs. I hope Kerry can heat up when it matters.

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Really? Then explain McCariens on the field...?

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

He must be a good blocker. That's all I can think of.

[EDIT] 1,000!!! Whoop whoop! :)) [EDIT]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar