Andre Ware, Charlie Ward, Akili Smith...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titanpride, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Too funny... not one time did I bring up anything to do with QB's being black. I used examples of QB's that were in the same situation as Young... considered all world but ended up not NFL quality, black or not ( Ward wasn't even drafted ). McNair is not as good as people think and Culpepper is clearly the most overrated Qb in the NFL... he's terrible. The only thing that kept his head above water was Moss, Reed, Carter. Eric Crouch wasn't even drafted as a QB.

SI.com reported the samething I've been saying for months with the exception of him leaving as the gretaest player next year.

Resource: SI.com/Houston Chronicle - Vince Young is not ready for the NFL. Until the second half of last season, there were people, including his own coaches, who wondered if he could be a successful quarterback in college. He's 29-2 as a starter and playing for the national championship. With one more season at Texas, he could leave as easily the greatest player in one of the country's best programs.

2. maximus

maximus Starter

Culpepper is a great QB, if it werent for his injury, he would have put up good numbers without Randy Moss. Look what Randy Moss has done in Oakland-not much. Cleary, Randy Moss did not make Daunte a great QB, Daunte is a great QB, because he is.
    McNair was a good QB that was handicapped by the coaches desire for a power run game, when the run game failed, and when he was called upon to win the game with his arm, he generally did.

3. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

I understand what your saying, I personally don't agree. Culpepper is a classic case of " Product of a system ". Once that system failed... ie: Moss, Carter, Reed no longer there... he was exploited. The Vikings have won 6 straight since Culpepper was removed from the starting lineup ( ie: Injury )... enter Brad Johnson.

4. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

Johnson is certainly not an elite QB, but the the thing he is not doing is turning the ball over. For whatever reason, Culpepper was throwing the ball to the other team more than his own this season. He was on course for a disastrous season before his injury. You suspect he was just trying to do too much after the team lost its best weapon in Moss. If he recovers from his injury, which is a bad one, I think he'll bounce back and play well. I"ve never considered Culpepper to be in the class of McNair at his best or McNabb, but I think he's a lot better than he showed this season.

As for Moss, I don't think he has lost anything. The guy is basically playing at a slow walk because of injury. I'm amazed he's catching any balls at all, but teams continue to give him a big cushion and let him grab the underneath stuff.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

There are quite a number of athletic and non-athletic high draft QB busts in the NFL. QB must be one of the toughest positions to translate to the NFL. Remember Heath Schuler? Great athlete with a great arm. Even in the case of a guy like McNair it took years before he really elevated himself to an elite status. IMO it is always a risk to take a guy high as a QB because so much depends on development. Few QBs are ready to play in the NFL and some simply never catch on to the speed and complexity of the game. You have to take these guys based on potential and then simply hope the light comes on.
    IMO Young has a decent shot because he has the physical tools and he looks like a real leader. Young also plays in a competitive conference and IMO there is slightly less risk taking a guy like that than a guy who played lesser competition. I'm sure any team considering him will be looking at him through a magnifying glass but you never know until a few years down the line if you made a good decision or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar