And the PLAN is....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Now wait a second. We went hard after a few WRs last year.....
    You remember the nice deal we offered MeShawn. We can offer a piece of garbage like that a decent deal but we can't make a decent offer to a single WR in FA? My guess is we must have a few trade options in the works. It is the only thing that makes sense. Otherwise I'll concede that MR is a blue ribbon idiot. Of course the Crumpler signing might put some hope into this thing.

Best thing to do if you are a Titans fan is take your medication on a regular basis to stay mellow and calm and then smash your fist through your computer screen after you figure out the best FA signed was someone like Fowler.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Here's what we need to thinking about. It's about value.

Player A and Player B both hit the market in free agency. Both are WRs. Player A has averaged 700 yards receiving and five TDs per each season of his career. Player B has averaged 350 yards and only one TD but had one season where he was out most of it with an injury. As a matter of fact, Player B actually gained more yardage last season than Player A though one less TD.

Most of us would take Player A even though Player B may have more upside.

Now, the kicker. Player A costs you around $5 mil a season in a seven-year deal. Player B only $3.5 mil for four. Is the gap in production from Player A to Player B worth $1.5 mil a year? Is it also worth possibly not being able to upgrade another position? What of the long-term cap issues with a player who may be well past his prime in four seasons?

The above example is Player A: Donte Stallworth and Player B: Justin Gage. Though most of use would likely take Stallworth, Gage actually gained more yards last season with a much less experienced QB. He's been in the league four seasons to Stallworth's six.

Without a doubt I think Gage is the better value. We'll know in time if it was the best choice. And a key isn't only how the two players produce but what the Titans are able to do with the $1.5 mil saved per year.

3. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

Like help buy Alge Crumpler and have more left for beer.

4. ShamH85

ShamH85 Practice Squad

The Plan for the worst Offense is exactly the same as last years plan for the worst Defense. Change 3 players around and hope the other 8 learned from last years mistakes and have someone do a complete 180. hint hint Vince with weapons... Championship!

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I sort of disagree with you a little. Gage is good but Stallworth was surrounded by Moss, Welker, Maroney, Faulk,etc. I do think Gage is a better deal I was just throwing that out there.

6. galaril

galaril Camp Fodder

In anycase, we now have a serious O-line problem. We lost our starting guard and most likely our starting RT though we geta 1st rounder for him. The starting center Mawae is ancient and not durable and Olson at guard is way past his prime. That leaves us with no line?

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

But Jeff Fisher has a plan. We've got nothing to worry about.

On a serious note, every FA comes with a downside for the most part, otherwise they wouldn't be Free Agents. I guess eventually you have to spend your money, but honestly, I don't see anything worth buying myself. I'd rather sign our own guys and save the money for another time. Of course, we do need to fill gaps like Offensive line, and I'm ok with taking average guys there to slot a name to the open position. Overspending does not concern me because inflation deflates the value of the contract over time, but the Free agents are less than exciting right now, and so I see no reason to spend any money. Maybe next year the list will get better.

8. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Who has made an offer to Stewart? - Besides the Titans?

9. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

If they don't sign Stewart or let him get away then I really will be PO'd. If they don't want VY running as much they gotta keep DEs off him, and Roos and Stewart are the makings of a great set of OTs.

10. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

Stewart is a RFA and has a high first round tender. I dont think were going to lose him this year. Hopefully he gets extended before anything else happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar