Analytics in Pro Sports

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuckfro42, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

The Great Analytics Rankings

Some interesting stuff... Not sure what can be gained by the rankings, except the knowledge that, yet again, the Titans are at the bottom.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. XO

XO Nevada Native

I was just about to post this. No surprise really.

The sheep will be along to discount this shortly.

[​IMG]
    TENNESSEE
    TITANS
    Last season, Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said he was "not really" into analytics. The Titans have no chief data analyst and no advocate among their football leaders. Tennessee flunked NFL Analytics 101 when it gave RB Chris Johnson a contract extension in 2011 with $31 million guaranteed for a position that could have been filled by a bargain. (Johnson didn't top 280 carries over the next three seasons and averaged just 3.9 yards in 2013 before the Jets made a worse mistake by picking him up.) Now, coming off a 2-14 season, the Titans say they "have begun to dabble in analytics."

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. edward nigma

edward nigma Starter

This is sad. We were one of the last teams to start using iPads and now we are clearly behind in analytical data. There are rewards to using this information. If we would fall in line, we could probably prevent a lot to the nagging injuries that or players seem to get consistently. This could be a start, utilizing the technology to prevent injuries.

I swear we take one step forward then two steps back.

4. XO

XO Nevada Native

Analytics is far from the only reason the Titans are in the position that they are in.

Hell, the Jaguars, Browns and Falcons are at the top and far from elite.

I think the point is it has benefits so why not use it? It can't hurt.

But as usual the Titans are about half a decade behind the rest of the league.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think these kind of articles tend to be soft on substance and full of stereotypes.

...and the skeptics look to be a pretty darn competitive group.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. XO

XO Nevada Native

I don't think anyone is saying that analytics will make or break a franchise. I'd say it isn't that big of a deal in the NFL as maybe other sports but at the same time it can't hurt.

Why not I've it a shot?

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Who are the sheep? What do you mean by sheep? Name names don't be a *****.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. XO

XO Nevada Native

@JCBRAVE

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Sometimes Great Player A and Great Player B combined don't equal two great players. I'd love to see the Titans gain the culture where even malcontents get in line and respect the team and their fellow players, but we are not there or even close and we have to win first to get there. Of course we should use analytics though but I don't know well that can account for the human element.

10. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

Whiz trusts his gut.

I do not.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar