An in-depth look into the Titans defensive struggles

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Y’all remember this 3rd down conversion? I know it was like a 12-13 yard gain. Ben gets rid of this ball in under 3 seconds but Clowney beats a double team and is quite literally split second away from a sack.

If Ben can throw it in under 3 seconds on a 12 yard pass. Imagine how quick the ball gets out on a 5 yard pass.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  2. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I also believe inside rush/collapsing the pocket helps your ends and corners get the QB. I’ve seen a lot of times that we blow past opposing QB’s because they just step right up in the pocket. Add the nice buffer our CB’s are giving and we don’t stand a chance....Any good D coordinator would see that.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I’m not agreeing that the pass rush improves when they play on the line. I think the pass rush is still a major issue (bigger than the secondary) regardless where the DBs line up.
    I am in agreement that the DBs currently being put in the field can be upgraded. AJ25 is a great start.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Lol ah so you are letting your hate for Clowney and Beasley cloud your judgment then. And now it makes sense as to why you’re being so stubborn. Even though I’ve shown you plays, stats, and other opinions that all back up my stance. Yet, you’ve just refused to believe it and continue to use the same 2 stats (sacks and pressure) to counter the argument. Even though it’s been explained why those are low.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

Pretty sure I’ve shown enough to say our pass rush sucks.
    I honestly don’t care who the pass rusher is. Have no more beef with clowney and Beasley than I do the previous 10 pass rushers we’ve had that aren’t good at pass rush.

I also pointed out in the other thread (trying to keep this thread reasonable) that 3 years ago when we had a healthy Butler, Jackson and Ryan that our secondary was towards the top of the league in almost every category but our pass rush still sucked.

That’s the entire thing, we can keep upgrading DB all day but until either Clowney/Beasley start producing or we get pass rush upgrades, this D is still gonna struggle against teams like KC, which happens to be THE team to beat right now.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

No you actually said we had the best secondary in the league that year. But you actually mean 2 years ago because this is Butler's 3rd year with the team.

You are also failing to compare our pass rushers that year with who we have this year.

You haven't done enough to prove the pass rush sucks. You've just been repeating that and saying it's valid because of sacks and QB pressures. Totally ignoring everything else that has been posted to counter that argument.

I'll ask this question directly to you so you can't ignore it anymore. Why are the Titans top 3 in the NFL in QB knockdown % (and total knockdowns) if the pass rush sucks? Titans were dead last in 2019 and 25th in 2018 with the "best secondary in the league."

Here's the link:

2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. HurrayTitans!

Well if pass rush is supposed to get sacks, hurries and pressures and they fail at all 3, are you telling me the pass rush is fine?

2018 season (2/3 seasons however you look at it, you knew exactly what I was talking about), arguably the best secondary in the league.

As far as knock downs, it clearly isn’t producing anything so who cares? They aren’t hurrying the QB, they aren’t sacking the QB, they aren’t pressuring the QB, so what does a knock down do?

“Dead last in 2019 and 25th in 2018” at what? What stat are you referencing here for the secondary?

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Me too. I was hoping he would have a bigger role. We clearly need improvement on the Defensive side of the ball in play calling and planning.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Vrabel needs to cal Dan Pees and beg him to come help him figure things out

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Pees probably can’t look at the games on 3rd down now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar