All time franchise draft...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I've had this pesky idea that I can't seem to shake. The thought occurred that it might be fun to hold a four team draft using only players who've played for the Oilers/Titans franchise.

Obviously this would require four individuals with a pretty solid knowledge base of the old Oilers teams. I was born in 65 so I can't sit here and claim personal knowledge of the 1960 and 61 Oilers AFL Championship teams, but through the years I've read enough to not be in the dark (I know who Jim Norton and Charlie Hennigan are).

I realize many of you have little or no interest in the Oilers and their old rosters. That's cool... I don't entirely understand it, but let's not make this thread a place for that discussion. You can sit this one out... or perhaps just watch it unfold and become a little more familiar with some past greats of the franchise.

I thought it'd be a normal snaking draft that is common for such things.

I will be acting as owner of one team, I will pick first overall, as well be arbitrator of any problems (I can't imagine there being many). I will rule with an iron fist and crush all who oppose me.

hehehe =]

Each owner will fill out a roster of 22 starters. Once a position group is filled on your team you can no longer draft anymore players at that position.

The rosters will be as follows...

QB
    RB (should we go with 2?)
    WR x 03
    TE
    OL x 05 (try as best as possible to draft olineman by position, but I think we can allow some leeway)
    DL x 04 (again, try as best as possible to draft DT's and DE's but their is obviously some grey area)
    LB's x 03 (should we go with 4?)
    CB x 02
    S x 02
    K x ... Ummm.... no.

When picking players, you will get them when they were at their best for this franchise. I also realize that players of eras are hard to compare (olinemen on the sixties were puny relative to the players of today). For this sale of this draft, let's say the players be judged relative to their era. So if you pick an all-AFL player from 1965 he will be considered to be of that caliber when competing against current Titans greats.

I thought about including head coach, but yeah, the pool of talent is pretty shallow.

If you've any ideas to improve things (roster make-up, selection process... whatev), or if you can foresee any snafus going forward, please chime in now (please). As stated above, for expedience sake I will be the sole arbitrator and rule on such things (I do want this to be a fair handed, fun thing do so I will try to rule fairly on everything... I just don't want to waste time on debate or votes over silly BS). And in reality this isn't a competition... it just a little bit if offseason fun.

If you think you'd make a good candidate to GM one of these four teams, please chime and state your knowledge level. Something like; "I'd like to join... I have a pretty good knowledge of eighties Oilers and everything going forward til now.... and have some some knowledge of 60's and 70's teams". I'm not sure how many actually have much knowledge on this, so even if your knowledge of the old Oilers is a lil sketchy, if you have a real interest in doing this, and are committed to doing the best job possible, please chime in, you never know.

Here is linkage to an excellent data base of all-time Oilers/Titans history, rosters, stats etc.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/

I realize that the pool for people who have the interest and knowledge might be small, but if we can find four people who do have some awareness and interest those old Oilers teams... it might in fact be a pretty fun offseason exercise.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

"I'd like to join... I have a pretty good knowledge of eighties Oilers and everything going forward til now.... and have some some knowledge of 60's and 70's teams".

:brow:

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I could give it a go. Knowledge isn't all that great but should be ok.

But should they have been an Oiler for a certain number of years. I mean Randy Moss is one of the best ever and would look good on a 'roster' of all-time greats with his stats but he did sweet FA for us.

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Holy. I didn't expect the response to be so overwhelming. hehehe

Re: Randy Moss concern... that's what I meant when I said you get the player when he was at his best for this franchise (which is about as clear as mud I suppose). I meant you'd get Randy Moss as he was when he played best as a Titan... or Archie Manning as he was as an Oiler... not in the primes of their career.

Any thoughts on the roster make up? (Number of RB's, WR's or whatever)

1. titanbuoy
    2. Childress79
    3. Gunny
    4. Scarecrow

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How about we make the roster make up per how you want the offense.

Say you want Run N Shoot, pick 4 WR and 1 RB.
    Smashmouth 2 WR 2 RB 1 FB (or 3 WR 2 RB)
    etc.

Since we've had such diverse offenses over time, you get to pick.

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Would changing the roster requirements for WR to four per team cover it? (each team would still be required 2 RB's and 1 TE). Using a similar train of thought perhaps each team should be required to draft 4 LB's).

I'm thinking of going 3-4 on D

Come on... we still need a fourth. Isn't there a user named Old Oiler Fan? You'd think he might be game. Possibly.

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Okay... Last call for a fourth. Might be better to do it with three people, but four would make things a bit more intriguing at at least one position. If your reticent to dive in due to lack of knowledge about the old Oilers teams. The link provided above provids a ton of info. It would honestly be nice to have someone with a bias towards the Titans... but of course some attention has to be paid to the 36 years of Oilers players as well or you'll really be limiting yourself. Ultimately enthusiasm and interest is probably more important than a real knowledge base.

Regardless if anyone bites, I'll do the first pick Monday morning.

Hope everyone is having a relaxin Sunday.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

**** it, I'll go.

9. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Sweet.

Should be interesting.

Or maybe not so much.

I'll begin in the morning.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I think everyone knows who is going first, and probably second. I have a strong guess on the third. If it swings that way......I've got my pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar