Breaking News Alex Smith traded to the Skins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

As in, a long term deal will have more guaranteed, in aggregate.

Alex Smith signed for $90m over 4 years, $70m guaranteed.

Say Cousins had a career ending injury, in 4 years he only gets the tag money right?
    Say Smith has a career ending injury next season, over 4 years he gets $70m still right?

2. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Good points for sure. I have a feeling Houston is going to be a pretty tough competitor this year, too.

I really like the staff changes made by the Titans so far. How well that will work out remains to be seen, but there's little doubt that the AFCS will be a tougher division than it has been for some time. Rolling with what we had for the last two years would have been a bad mistake.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Reports from who? People on here?

I'm just going by the article I posted...says Smith got the deal they wouldn't give Cousins not he got the deal Cousins turned down from the Redskins

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

They only offered him $53M guaranteed:

Bruce Allen: Redskins offered Kirk Cousins $53 million, but he prefers franchise tag

There were 5 years on the contract, but only two years were guaranteed. If he played under the tag (which he did) and had a career ending injury this year, he'd only be missing out on 1 year (~$24M) of that money. He took the gamble that he'd be healthy or that nothing awful would happen and he'd be able to make wayyyyy more than that in the open market or that they'd transition tag him, which would give him ~$29M.

As that article points out, the 2017 tag and 2018 transition tag together = $52.6M. So basically the Skins offered him barely more than what they would have had to pay him for 2017 and 2018 if they tagged him both years. They wouldn't do more years with more guaranteed money for him.

They were cheap and made him bad offers. It was a no brainer. Then they gave far more guaranteed money to Smith though, which is absurd.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. STEVE McFLARE

STEVE McFLARE Starter

Yawn, Marcus will smoke both of these guys next season

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar