Alex Brown on trade block..any takers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Of course if we can get Allen for a 2nd we should consider that option.
    Also, if the $ is going to be too ridiculous for Brown I wouldn't make the move either.
    I do disagree some on the value you place on 2nd round picks. Sure you expect and want to get a "STAR" with 2nd round picks. So, how many of those have we drafted in the 2nd round with this franchise? Brown is a guy who is definately better than two DEs we used 2nd rounds picks on already.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

In the last 10 years...here are our 2nd rnd picks...

Kent WR
    Rolle CB
    Thornton DT
    Kinney TE
    Dyson CB
    Tank SS
    Calico WR
    Troupe TE
    LaBoy DE
    Odom DE
    Roos OT
    White RB
    Henry RB

Of the players above, Rolle, Tank, Calico, Troupe, White and Henry were/are looked at as players with a chance to be stars while players like LaBoy, Odom, Roos, Dyson, Kent, Thornton, and Kinney were expected to be above average players with a decent chance at becoming star players.

The only possible exceptions are Thornton and Roos. Thornton was drafted as a big run-stuffing DT so he wasn't exactly gonna become a 'star' as a run stuffer. And it's extremely difficult to find a quality LT outside of rnd 1 who can start. However, Floyd said he hasn't taken others before because they weren't good enough...Roos was. And out of LaBoy and Odom, they expected one guy to not only start, but excel.

Of course, of the above list, Floyd has not exactly made his living drafting 2nd rnd picks. We've had more busts than we should have (Calico, Kent, and probably White if he doesn't get his act together).

We got a pro bowl cb (Rolle), an above avg cb (Dyson), an avg-above avg TE (Kinney), an above avg SS (Tank), and an above avg LT (Roos). 5 out of 10 with White and Henry yet to be judged.

I'll repeat an earlier question...what do you think we could get back for Pacman Jones in a trade? Then what do you think KC can get back for Allen in a trade? Keep in mind that Pacman might be the poster child for this personal conduct policy, but he's not been convicted of any crime yet while Allen had 2 DUI's in the same year and is suspended for 4 games because of it?

I fully expect Pacman to end up suing the league. So far, the only thing they can really nail him on so far is his failure to report 2 incidents to the Titans...and that gets him suspended for the season (unless he behaves the first 10 weeks) while 2 DUI's in the same season gets you 4 games????

Gut

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Not to nitpick against these excellent points, but Kinney was a 3rd rounder I do believe.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'm not sure that list helps your cause to be honest.
    The best example on that list IMO might be Dyson. Not a star but certainly a solid player. The reason I'll use him as an example is because he could be IMO considered about the same level at his position as Brown is at DE. Both are solid players but not stars. Now assume we needed a CB and we could get a guy like Dyson for a 2nd round pick. Would we do that instead of rolling the dice in the draft, get a guy who although not spectactular is a solid player and an upgrade who can step in and play right away? It is a no brainer IMO. Giving up the draft pick is no big deal. The determining factor is the $. If Brown is willing to play for a reasonable contract he is well worth it IMO.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Oops...

Sorry...

You are correct. He was our second player but we had no 2nd rndr that year...we had 2 3rd rndrs.

Good call GL!

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sox...

As I said...we disagree on a couple of things. I don't think an avg CB is worth giving up a 2nd rnd pick for...especially on a second contract. Under a rookie contract that's one thing...but even then I'd rather not do it.

Pros for a 2nd rnd pick...
    Could be a Pro Bowl player
    Even if he's not a pro bowler, likely to be ONLY an avg player
    Helps salary cap by playing for cheap contract

Cons for 2nd rnd pick
    Could be a bust

There is more risk for a draft pick...but I'd rather risk a bust and potentially get an ABOVE AVG player or better, then spend too much salary cap on an avg player...especially a high priced position like DE.

To me it's not worth it.

Gut

7. Alex Brown DE trade

Alex Brown DE for the bears, do we get him or say wait for someone else, give me some input on your thoughts.:ha:

8. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Seeing as tho the only trade we ever made for a DE was Kevin Carter and that was ages ago no I dont think we even attempt to go after him. Even tho we should

9. ONUV

ONUV Starter

we should sign every free agent that hits the market. at least that's what i heard from titans' fans on the internet.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

but we'll only sign those that bring nothing to the table. at least that's what i've gathered from the works of Mike Reinfeldt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar