Alex Brown on trade block..any takers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

Bears' Pro Bowl DE Brown on trade bl... Published Sun May 6 11:20:00 a.m. CT 2007
    (Rotoworld) According to the Washington Post, the Bears are shopping DE Alex Brown.

Impact: The Bears are flush with quality ends and Brown is believed to be in search of a new contract. The Redskins and Bears have done a lot of business recently, but Chicago is said to be asking for a second-round pick

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Second sounds a little high...

3. has his production gone down since he was in the pro bowl?

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Not according to the stats. He set his sack high last year (7) and second most solo tackles in his career as well.

A 2nd is a little high though, but considering some people want to give up a 1st for LT's backup, then I'd much rather spend a 2nd on this guy.

5. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

I would say a 2nd for him is cool. Normally, the top 3 DEs in a draft are gone by mid 1st round. We really don't need to get younger, so I would pull the trigger on that one. That is one of the remaining question marks that we have. We have the cap room. Isn't he pretty stout against the run too?

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I'd give this definite consideration. He is an abosolute upgrade over any DE's we have now. I think he would be a strong pick up for us helping our Pass and Run Defense. He isn't the greatest pass rusher but collapses the pocket well and his sack total last year was his highest yet. Hopefully it's a continuing trend, his run Def. is very strong and makes a good amount of tackles especially from the DE position. He is a quality DE that will make your team better and plays within the system.

Unless somebody drops which might be too late to find out if they trade him soon I think we trade a 2nd round pick or maybe a 3rd and 4th rounder could be worked out. Maybe it is a little high but I think he's worth it. This would also allow us to drop one of our underacheiving DE's in Laboy or Odom.

I remember him in an interview last year........when they asked about his sack totals not being in double-digits like some other DE's he replied "It's not all about sacks it's what you do on every play to make an impact. Some DE's make a lot of sacks but what do they do on those other 40-60 plays. He is a complete DE and his sack totals should continue on their upward trend.

7. jfrancis04

jfrancis04 AKA jonboy_the_titan

I think this would be great. I never will forget him sacking Tee Martin time after time in the UT/Florida game. Just imagine if we could pick up a healthy Al Wilson, Alex Brown, and Keyshawn. Those 3 alone would make the offseason worth it.

8. nouveaux

nouveaux Starter

Actually that was Tee Martin, not Peyton.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

No...

Alex Brown could be worth a 3rd....but he's down on my 'wish' list.

We should be targeting a few other players in trades...

What does Indy want for Freeney? They don't want to pay him a huge contract so they are happy to franchise him and get him at 9.4mil a year (and if he gets hurt...they can cut him with no long term ramifications). His sack numbers were down but according to Indy and Freeney, he played with a bad ankle the whole season and still was fast. I'd give up next year's first for him and Odom with an escalator clause...like if he hits 15 sacks then they get an additional 4th rnd pick or something.

What do the Giants want for Kiwanuka? They are planning to move him to SAM LB...what a waste! How about we trade them Tulloch or Fowler (whomever's not gonna win the starting job) and a 3rd rnd pick? I'd even throw in LaBoy! We lose some depth and a 3rd rnd pick for a proven pass rushing RDE!!!

What does Carolina want for Kris Jenkins? We don't need him and we'd have to talk salary with him, but if they're thinking of cutting him...I'd give up a mid-late rnd pick for him. He and Haynesworth would be a tough pair inside!

What does KC want for Jared Allen? Allen is probably the best DE we could get in terms of onfield production (cause Indy probably wouldn't trade us - a division rival - one of the best pass rushers in the league...Peyton would cry). However, Allen has some serious red flags. 2 DUI's in one year has earned him a 4 game suspension. He wants a big contract and KC wants to low ball him (Carl Peterson...come on down). I'd offer a 3rd and there choice of LaBoy or Odom. Allen's contract would have to be very carefully written and his signing bonus would be spread out into roster bonus' for the next 3 years. And if he screws up...he'll have to give some of that money back. This is what we call incentive to stay on the straight and narrow. As a player...he's one of the best in the league and entering his prime. He's good against the run and the pass and causes forced fumbles. He's an impact player. And if he screws up...then we get some of his money back, don't get killed cap-wise, and only gave up a 3rd.

Another intriguing guy is Brian McRae. He was only tendered at a first rnd level and he wants a big contract. He had 10 sacks in 12 starts last year and came on. Question is...is that a byproduct of that defense, or was he a fluke, or is he gonna be a double digit sack guy for the next 8 years? Would you give up a 3rd and LaBoy....or a 2nd rnd pick to find out?

Alex Brown would be a consideration after these guys and considering they want to get rid of him...a 3rd rndr seems generous enough...especially since he's NOT a double digit sack guy.

Other alternatives would be seeing who gets cut...Phillip Daniels or Andre Carter are likely candidates. Simeon Rice could too. The problem is...these guys are getting cut because they are ineffective, old, expensive or come combination. I'd rather give up some value for a top notch player. Freeney is the dream guy (especially for the double bonus of removing him from the Colts), Allen and Kiwanuka are realistic guys we could get (even if we had to give up first rnd picks...but they can be had for less), McRae or a cutee are secondary alternatives. And even still, keep an eye on Jenkins...he's worth grabbing if we can afford him and a good RDE!

However, we DO need to upgrade DE and we're gonna need to give something up for a good player...but we NEED a good player if we're gonna have a dominant D. And an Allen or Freeney and this D has DOMINANT personel. Add an Allen AND Jenkins at DT and we have top 5 potential.

A top 5 D with improvement from VY, some help at WR and a strong running game would allow us to not only vie for the division title, but give us a chance to go deep in the playoffs! And with VY in a big game...anything can happen.

The alternative is to wait til next year after maybe we take a step back (run game, wr's, and schwartz's effectiveness are serious question marks...let alone the prowess of the Jags and Indy). With a top 10 pick we can grab a good DE.

But do you want to wait til next year to add the missing piece on D??? And even then that player could bust. Allen and Freeney are proven NFL stars...even McRae is less risk than a mid first rnd DE.

Gut

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I like Kiwi, but a proven pass rusher already? Come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar