Akeem Ayers moving to DE

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yea smith was supposed to anchor the 34 looks and play NT in both 43/34. Eat blocks, push pocket. But he flat sucks and got blew up on the norm. I would be more interested in drafting another DT, either a real big NT type or the 300 lber that can't be moved. Casey has already proven to be a decent pass rusher from the inside and good on run downs. He can play Nose or Under tackle so our options are wide.

Depending on our draft, if we could get Ingram first and Thompson (kid from Clemson, very stout, can play NT) in the second, our dline problems would hopefully be solved.

2. Clark

Btw, at the senior bowl, we should be able to see both of those players playing on the same line.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I see this as something that would amount to 2-4 snaps per game, if really attempted. It's pre-draft fluff to fuel the speculation, more than anything.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

We never get the proverbial 350-lb Samoan nose tackle type. I could see us getting Thompson, however. If we go DE/DT in whatever order for the right guys and get CF signed, I'll think our defense is most of the way there.

5. Clark

Well the article that those comments originated from... Don't even say he would be put at DE. so.... To me that's a non factor. 34 hybrid? That's a possibility because the our D coordinator spoke of it. Does it pan out... Who knows.

6. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Smith can't lose his old "3-4" habits. They thought they could learn him the 4-3 style, but apparently he's too stupid for that. The short offseason proabably didn't help either.

7. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Smith-"I'm gunna love your nuts!"

8. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

And the transition to 3-4 begins...

9. Clark

I wouldn't be against transitioning to 34, and if we continue to take fringe 34 guys to fill roles until we fully switch.... Then it's all in the pudding.

This draft will tell a bit about what's going on. I'd rather a hybrid look than just one defense.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ensconatus,
    Read between the lines. Keith Millard was hired to help us generate sacks, since 2010 he's wanted Ayers as his DE.

I'm not claiming Ayers will be a full-time DE, but in passing situations a lot of the time, defenses are subbing in packages to get Ayers off the field. Munchak talked about this midseason. If Ayers is coming off the field because teams are lining up in 4 WR-sets, why not find ways to keep your best pass rusher in? He can't play OLB vs slot WR's so move him to DE on 3rd & longs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar