Agent Hints Brown May Leave Camp if No Extension Talk

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

More than once Fisher commented on Brown bouncing to the outside instead of digging in for the short yardage. Though I do put some of that on the OL, Brown isn't (wasn't) good at getting you a couple of yards when the defense stacked it in to stop it.

Brown isn't anything close to Eddie in his prime.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

We all know you are Chris Brown's standard bearer. Nothing personal Soxcat, I like your take on some things but Brown is not good enough.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I don't think it was all on the OL. Our average pass was only getting running yards so it was easy for opposing D's to stack the line & shut down our running game.

The offense repeatedly let the D down & kept them on the field. By the 3rd quarter the D had tanked & we were then way behind on points. No team is going to run the ball well under those circumstances. A more productive passing game will make us less predictable this year give us a more balanced offence. When that happens the OL will look ten times better than they did last season.

Even tho EG lacked 100yard games his last 3 yrs he could still get the hard yards when we needed him too. Chris Brown has been a lightweight when we've needed him & that's in his prime.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

at least Eddie could convert 3rd and 1

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If that's your only criteria for a runningback why don't we just sign Eddie again, I hear he's available....

6. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

CB ought to fire this guy. Listening to him could kill his career. Brown has yet to prove anything but "potential" yet. He knows that. A "feature" back must prove his worth by staying healthy while procuding. This is his chance to do so. We are giving him that chance. None can blame the Titans for the "show me first" attitude. Hey Chris, dump this guy and let him go help Drew with TO.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I really don't care if by definition Brown is a "feature" back or not. The main point should be are his salary demands excessive based on his production.

For example the CAP values in 2005 for James, Tomlinson, Alexander and Rudy Johnson were 9,8,6.3 and 6.2 mil. Ahman Green, Lewis, Martin and Barber were in the 5+ mil range. Holmes and Faulk were in the 4+ range and when you get to the 3 mil + area you get names like Warrick Dunn, Kevin Barlow, Fred Taylor and (belive it or not) Chester Taylor. Those are 2005 numbers so with the new CAP we will see higher numbers as guys sign new contracts.

With that said I don't think anybody is arguing Brown should be in the Alexander, Tomlinson category. It does seem reasonable that Brown could fit into the 3 mil area. I don't think Brown is looking for money like Eddie made so comparisons to Eddie are not really justified from a financial standpoint.

Now if Brown wants to be paid like a Kiki Barber I'm all for letting him play out his contract and then re-evaluating but if he is willing to sign for closer to what he is worth I'm all for it. It isn't like we have Shawn Alexander waiting to take over his spot unless White starts to show more than he has so far.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

If it was my team & my money I'd want to see what he can do this year before I'd commit big money to him long term. if he gets hurt & misses games again that would have to factor in to his future worth even if I still wanted him.

I'd say he's worth Soxcat's $3mil a year now if say 30-40% of the is performance related. That's still a hike in his pay but if he gets hurt again it would lower his Cap hit.

I don't think his greedy agent would buy that kind of deal tho.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

no doubt.

ps-Soxcat, good post and your arguments are sound it's just that most fans, I would think, want a dominate feature back. Chris Brown is just not a first class running back in this league. That doesn't mean Henry or White is either... sure, the O-line has been lacking... I hope they will be better...

This Brown stuff is like my support for Woolfolk... it's wishful thinking. I still hope Woolfolk defies the odds and comes up big but Woolfolk doesn't front like he's freakin E. James... (like Brown seems too) ... If Brown runs with authority and stays healthy I'll admit that I'm wrong.

Let me put it this way..

I have more faith in Woolfolk.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Faith in Woolfolk than Brown?
    Brown is a starter and has run for 1000+ yards in the NFL.
    Woolfolk has not come close to achieving what Brown has so far.

Again, I'm not saying or is anyone else that Brown is an elite back at this point. Talking like he Brown is a marginal player is wrong as well. If we don't want him there are a number of teams that will. Also, if we are waiting around to get the next Eddie George of Tomlinson we might be waiting a while. Brown's demand of being paid as well as an average starting back in the NFL is reasonable IMO where ever he plays.

Consider this. Backs that are taken very early in the draft earn 3+ mil right out of the gate before they have proven anything. Would everyone rather take that chance, paying a guy big bucks before we know if they are good or reliable? 1st round draft picks get what Brown is asking from day one and you used a high draft pick as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar