AFC South Rankings: CB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jun 23, 2008.

?
  1. Colts: Hayden, Jackson

7.7%
  2. Jaguars: Mathis, Florence

51.3%
  3. Texans: Robinson, Bennett

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Titans: Finnegan, Harper

41.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Public poll.

2. maximus

maximus Starter

I went for the Titans CBs.
    Indy's CB don't scare me. DRob of the Texans is good but the other guy I could beat in Man coverage ;) The Jaguars are good, if I voted for another team CB it would be them

3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

1. Titans
    2. Jags
    3. Texans
    4. Colts

Tennessee has 2 solid CB's and I don't see that anywhere else in the division. Jags are close but Tennessee has the slight edge.

4. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

You should definitely try out for a team then.;) Because Fred Bennett was one of the best vertical CBs in the league last year.

this is a snippet from an article off ESPN insider:

As was the case with the receivers, this metric review measures medium (11-19 yards), deep (20-29 yards) and bomb (30-plus yards) pass attempts on a yards-per-attempt basis. Because cornerbacks tend to see fewer passes than wide receivers, I lowered the qualifying-attempt mark to 24. The yardage totals once again include "pass in the air" penalty attempts and yards (i.e., pass interference, defensive holding, illegal contact, etc.).

Now that we have the rules out of the way, here are the top 10 vertical cornerbacks from 2007:

Player Team Vert Att Vert Yds Vert YPA
    Fred Bennett Houston 24 67 2.8
    Quentin Jammer San Diego 35 159 4.5
    Deshea Townsend Pittsburgh 35 178 5.1
    Charles Tillman Chicago 34 199 5.9
    Fred Smoot Washington 32 197 6.2
    Terrence McGee Buffalo 44 271 6.2
    Eric Wright Cleveland 46 300 6.5
    Antonio Cromartie San Diego 29 202 7.0
    Sheldon Brown Philadelphia 40 279 7.0
    Will Allen Miami 30 211 7.0

Fred Bennett might be the best young cornerback in the NFL. He not only posted a phenomenally low vertical YPA but also gave up only six completions in those 24 attempts, none of which were at the deep or bomb level. Bennett's overall YPA of 4.7 was third-best among cornerbacks last season, which is another reason I think he might be only one full season as a starter away from being a serious Pro Bowl candidate.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

How can people be voting for the Titans here? Clearly we don't have the best CBs in the division. We're behind the Jags for sure and maybe even the Texans. The Colts are kind of a write-off because CBs don't matter much in their scheme.

Man, these polls really show the homerism around here.

6. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

I would put yall above the Texans for now for sure. Mainly due to Dunta Robinson coming of a pretty serious injury. He wont be back till mid season. In 09... the Texans should hopefully give anyone a run for their money in this department with a year under Robinsons belt to get back to good, Bennetts further development... and new draft pick CB Antwaun Molden (had the physical tools to be a tip top draft pick, just lack of competition in college is his weakness)... then throw newly signed CB Jacques Reeves for depth.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think the whole division is average, but i went with the jags because of mathis.

8. I'm giving the edge to the Jags. And Mathis is the best CB in the division.

9. maximus

maximus Starter

To bad its not a high jump competition

10. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Our cbs really overachieved last year, but I think they are solid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar