Activision Threatens to Stop Supporting PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by jessestylex, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

2015?? No way. No way they continue with PS3 that long.

edit: All the dates I'm seeing are 2012...

2. Toly

Toly Free your mind

They just probably want to milk MW2 for all it's worth and a PS3 price cut will do wonders for that.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Won't be 2012, they plan on a 10 year cycle with the PS3 though I wasn't really thinking a PS3/PS4 at the same time like PS2/PS3.

I know Microsoft are looking to release a new one relatively soon (soon being 2 - 3 years probably).

4. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Generally speaking, don't consoles run on a six-year cycle nowadays? That seems to have been fairly true for the last three generations, and if Nintendo and Microsoft get new consoles underway, Sony may just have to abandon the ten year plan and get PS4 underway earlier than they want.

If they held a stranglehold on the market like the PS2 did, I could see them holding off, but I don't really see them as having enough of a foothold to stay with the PS3 four years past the date of the competitors upgrading?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

hmm, I dunno, release one too early and people won't buy it. But then again if they do, they will buy one a few years after.

But then again, they release a PS4 after 6 years and still support the PS3 for another few more.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Xbox was just 4 years old when 360 launched i think it topped out at about 20+ million.

360 will be 4 years old in Nov and is at 30 million sold. xbox was to get in the door. 360 was to beat Sony out of the gate in order to always have the price advantage and more games.

It's working out good for MS, and with Project Natal rumored to not launch until 2010 I think 360 is going to see a 6-7 year life span. maybe even longer as long as they lead Sony and can still sell systems.

I could see MS launching a new system 2-3 years sooner than Sony with fully functional Project Natal technology and launch games. and should have 30 million XBL users by then. MS should be able to be the new leader in gaming by 2013. they just have all the right pieces in place now.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I will preface this by saying Microsoft have done well this generation in being competitive and they have built a solid ground.

Microsoft are the losers in video gaming right now. They aren't winning anything.
    They have good exclusive, most of which they had to pay for to keep it exclusive because they have no first party support (and half of them are timed exclusive and are released on PS3 anyway and the sequels are released at the same time - eg. Saints Row 2, Lost Planet, Bioshock, the jRPGs, Left 4 Dead 2 is apparently heading to PS3 now).

They released a defective console which had a 33% failure rate, which took them 3 years to fix it, and the only reason they are not last right now in terms of current gen sales is because they released that defective console earlier then anyone else.

The 360 sells worse on yearly sales then any other console. They have no presence in Japan and no presence in Europe except for the UK.

Sure Natal is a good concept, but can it work with mainstream games or cutsie games like the Wii does and can it be done without a massive cost?

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It works with Burnout Paradise. Gas pedal, wheel, etc. Hopefully they make it work with games like Madden and NBA live/2k.

9. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

They have no footing in Japan because they are a western company. Nintendo and Sony have a stranglehold on Japan because of historical ties and the fact that they are stationed.(Same with Sony here)

I also thought I saw at E3 that microsoft was getting some of the games deemed exclusives for the PS3 like Tekken and Final Fantasy being made for all consoles. In my honest opinion, I believe Microsoft has the edge because they have been on the attack by starting out soon. Releasing early no doubt attributed to the red rings problem, but it was outweighed by the install base from being earlier than anyone else, as well as garnering 3rd party support, hence ported games early in the PS3's cycle.

In my opinion of course.:)

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Tekken and Final Fantasy 13 are multi-platform, although FFXIII is PS3 exclusive in Japan.

However, as of now, Final Fantasy VERSUS 13 is PS3 exclusive as is Final Fantasy 14. I don't expect 14 to stay exclusive (it's an MMO anyway), but I do expect VERSUS to stay PS3 exclusive (the head developer is a massive Sony fan and is pretty much the top guy at Square Enix in terms of developing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar