A what should be dead strategy: Drafting CBs early.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I believe in Finny, McC, and Verner also. However, if Prince is still on the board and Fairley, Bowers, and Peterson are gone.. Prince should be taken.

2. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

It's not even an issue about where we need the most help on our defense as our whole unit has major issues. It is about taking the best defensive player available when we go to pick at 8. Peterson, Finley, and Bowers will most likely be off of the board when it is time for us to pick. Amukamara becomes the BDPA at that point.

If we add a safety in free agency (Eric Weddle or Melvin Bullet) we already improve our weakest position on our defense. After that the pick either needs to be a big DT (Darius or Paea) or Amukamara. Amukamara is simply a more talented player then either defensive tackle who will be there when we pick.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I'm willing to agree that there's a scenario where the Titans would be best off taking a CB. If all the good d-linemen were gone and somehow Peterson was still available at 8, the of course you would have to consider taking him.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It comes down to taking the BPA. When you are picking 8th in the draft you expect that guy to be pro-bowl material at some point. If you draft more for need you can get a solid starter but pass on a true stud.

So if Peterson or Amukamara are available and they are the BPA it would be hard to not pull the trigger. Typically there will be a few guys with similar ratings so obviously if a comparable player is there at a position of need fill the need. But we should never pass on a future pro-bowl player just to fill a need.

The best teams in the NFL typically have a roster of which about 90% is not much different talent wise than the average or even poor teams. The difference usually are the real studs. On the Bears defense it is Urlacker and Briggs. On the Steelers it is Palamalu and Harrison. Those kind of guys are difference makers. We need some difference makers. That is what Kearse gave us in 1999. We need a guy at #8 who can be a difference makers for us and it really doesn't matter what position he plays.

Now it would be great if that guy could also be a huge upgrade at a position of need.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It doesn't make sense, fellas. Sorry.

Here's what we know:

Not one cornerback in the NFL can cover a good WR for more than 5 seconds. Doesn't matter who he is.

Any mediocre cornerback can cover any WR for 3 seconds.

We know first hand: Pressure is all that matters. It makes average DBs look like pro-bowlers. There's no need to draft a CB early when you can draft players to create pressure.
    They end up demanding tons of money and you get nothing out of it. Nnamdi, Nate Clements, Law, etc...

for the guy that had the long post: The Patriots plugged a bunch of nobodies in when they were riddled with injuries in one of their later runs. One being Gay, and I can't remember the others.

The Steelers CBs suck. Yet it doesn't matter.
    The Jets CBs were average last year. Didn't matter. Revis is a product of pressure. Adding Cromartie didn't really make them any better this year than they were last year.
    The Ravens. Who are their DBs outside of Ed Reed?... Doesn't matter. Chris Carr... a guy we let go is their starting CB.
    The Bears? Who knows...

With pressure, you, me, or Michelle Obama could make the pro-bowl as a DB. Meanwhile, you can have the best 3 corners in the league and get passed on all game long if you have no pressure.

6. Deuce Wayne

And then again... we don't NEED a CB. We have glaring holes all over this roster... and CB isn't one of them.

Stupid pick if they did it in more than 1 way.

7. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

Im almost starting to feel like we should trade out of our #8 pick. I don't necessarily believe that taking a CB in the 1st round is a bad idea..but i'm not sure how I would feel about taking one so high with the #8 pick.

I for one also believes that a great defense starts from the inside. So a DE/DT are 2 positions I think we should target with our pick..unfortunately all the top tier guys (according to rankings) will probably be gone by the time we pick (bowers, Quinn, Dareus), you have Von Miller as well as an option, but word is he's more suited to play the 3-4.

So where does that leave us? Like someone else mentioned..when you have a top 10 pick your expecting top 10 talent..pro bowl material..but this draft doesn't seem to have a lot of that. Even some of the guys they have in the top 10 are suspect to me. Of course theres no such thing as a sure thing in the draft..but if we cant get a top tier guy with that pick trading down may help us out tremendously. Just a thought

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

In this whole discussion about weaknesses in our defense I'm surprised that LB hasn't come up once. TE's killed us last year because our LB's couldn't cover. Take away big games from the TE's on the Chargers and Dolphins (just to name 2) we probably win those games. Someone like Von Williams, could come in and be a definite game changer for us if we go that route.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Actually Prince is the one who reminds me of Rolle. Peterson is bigger and faster than Prince.

Have to agree with the Duke on this one. It doesn't happen often and it might not happen again for a while but we are ok at CB and can get decent players later on in the draft. Asante Samuel was a 4th rd pick. Terrance Mcgee a 3rd rd pick.

10. Deuce Wayne

The Colts are a fine example themselves. True, their defense sucks often... but it's usually stopping the run.

Who the hell have they had at CB for the last 5 years? Basically, Dwight Freeney and Mathis. I'm not sure they even need anyone covering WRs.

They were 4th in the NFL in pass defense this year... no idea who their corners are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar