A Snakebitten Franchise ... warning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

credit: NFL Network's info

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story...emplate=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

go to link to see the video

According to NFL Networks List of Top 10 Most Snakebitten Teams - the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans rank in @ # 5

But looking back I think you could really make the argument that the Houston/Tennessee franchise could be the most snakebitten, if you go by how close they came yet suffered heart break after heartbreak.

Buffalo Bills maybe the only other team I can see more snakebitten than us. You cant really count teams like Detroit and Minnesota because they didnt really lose as much in heartbreak fashion like Buffalo and Houston did.

(WARNING) some of these images may "HURT" looking back but I became intrigued by this, looking back and putting the pieces together and maybe just maybe there is some kind of weird, voodoo curse looming over this franchise.

(footage from the NFL Network's Video) from old Houston Oilers coordinator Kevin Gilbride may have said it best ...

"Son of a gun, we cant catch a stinkin' break. We gotta have the worst luck in the National Football League."

Just how snakebitten have this franchise been over the years ... well ...

A (tough trip back to memory lane)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The "Infamous" Play that many have claimed, "made instant replay apart of the game"

Because if there was instant reply back in the 70's, this would have been considered a great back of the endzone touchdown (clearly a touchdown).

For 2 years in a row the Houston Oilers from 1978 and 1979 may have been the 2nd best team in the entire league both years - however they kept running into a familiar foe: the better Pittsburgh Steelers who went on to beat Houston back to back years in the AFC Championship Game. Steelers became a dynasty while the Oilers became an after-thought.

The Mike Renfro touchdown catch, called incomplete by the ref, most likely would have pushed the Oilers into the Superbowl that year and would have played the Dallas Cowboys in an all-Texas Superbowl.

Then came the 80's- early 90's when the Houston Oilers once again made their way back into playoffs year after year lead by Hall of Famer Warren Moon only to collapse when it mattered most ...

7 Straight Playoff Appearances in the 80's lead to "nothing".

[​IMG]

80's had some good Houston teams all fell short in the post season - Now fast foward to the 90's.

35-3 at halftime ... Buffalo's star QB Jim Kelly out of the game, yet the Oilers defense finds a way to fold to the backup Frank Reich in what is still to this day, the biggest comeback in playoff history.

Play-by-play annoucer at the time during the game;

"Out of all the loses in Houston Oiler history, this has got to rank as the most devastating."

[​IMG]

Dont forget Houston's OWN coaching staff taking punches at each other on national tv - Monday Night Football. Buddy Ryan punching Kevin Gilbride in the face (due to Kevin's conservative play-calling during the game).

1993 - The Houston Oilers vs Kansas City Chiefs Playoffs

[​IMG]

Biggest crowd at the Astrodome EVER in their franchise history, got out to a lead with the Dome going absouletly NUTS ... only to collapse once again at the end for a last minute drive and touchdown by Hall of Famer Joe Montana (not a such a bad way to lose - to a stud like Montana)

However ... John McClain, Houston Chronicle and others have contributed this loss to the game that eventually had Houston leaving town for Nashville.

So the franchise moved to Tennessee, changed their uniforms and logos in hopes to change the image of the franchise and what happens right off the bat ...?

part-1

2. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

part-2

[​IMG]

Miraculously, the change worked and the Titans make their first NFL Superbowl only to fall 1-yard short. Not much else needed to be said. We all remember.

[​IMG]

Titans go 10-0 and cruise into the playoffs as the number-1 seed with a bye and a home date with the dreaded Ravens.

A late game fumble in the red zone by Alge Crumpler, coupled by the Ravens defense head hunting to take Chris Johnson out of the game, their unbelievable season ended prematurely to a devastated home crowd.

So whats next for this snakebitten franchise?

Well ... at lease were in "good hands" ... right?

[​IMG]

3. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

This is one of those threads that should be left in your head.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Buffalo HAS to be the most snakebitten.

4 straight Superbowls. 99 teams out of 100 would win one of those.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I actually saw the presentation of this on NFL Network a couple years ago.

I definitely expected us to make the top 10. We should have at least 2 Super Bowls, but it could be worse.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Not at all surprised the Steelers got the call either.

7. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Meh. I know really. More calls than any other team! Matt Hasselbeck should have a Superbowl win under his belt if the refs weren't wearing the terrible towel under their zebra suits.

LOL! that thought crossed my mind half way through.

8. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Don't forget the Denver game, that one was brutal. I punched my TV so hard I knocked the control panel into the TV itself. :(

9. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Saints were once considered Snakebitten.......just sayin

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The worst part about being a Titans fan vs being a Cardinals, Brown, Texans or any other team not to win it all, is that we should have 1 by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar