A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think that Ferguson will go to more pro-bowls than any other guy in this draft and thus he is the safest pick in the draft. Franchise LTs come along a lot less frequently than franchise QBs and they are never found later in the draft or in FA because they never hit the market. Do you have to have a franchise LT to win a SB? of course not because most teams don't have franchise LTs. In the past 10 yrs their have only been 3 franchise LTs(Ogden, Pace, Jones) and between them they have played in 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls which isn't a bad record.

If I were building a team I would build up my defense and OLINE before considering a QB.

I think that a lot of QBs have their talents wasted by being forced into very difficult situations.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Alex smith and drbrick...

Gunny, alex smith turned 21 in may 2005. Same age as a lot of rookie QBs.

I'm not sure why someone would compare daunte culpepper to alex smith. We know culpepper can play but smith's only performance has been horrible.

If this was feb 1999 it could easily be ryan leaf that i would be bashing and all of you guys coming to his defense. Smith's rookie performance was similar to leaf's. Worse than horrible!
    Compare smith's rookie season to peyton manning's and tell me of there is any comparison. What glimmer of hope is there that this guy will ever be good? The 49ers have already complained about his small hands(6'5 with small hands?) which is why he fumbled so much. Is he in some off season program for growing longer fingers?
    I'm not a 49ers fan, i have no emotional stake in this issue. We have seen bust out QBs before and this guy looks like the poster boy.

Dbrick is the least risky pick in this draft. Drafting him would give us book end o-tackles for the next decade. OT is a position of longevity where a player can produce for many years. Willie roaf made the pro bowl in his 13th season. Willie anderson in his 10th year and orlando pace in his 9th.

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

No one said Alex Smith would or wouldn't be a bust... except you. We said it's too early to condemn him. If this year was the only time you had seen Daunte play, I guess you would send him to go play ball in Europe. Why do you make comparisons that don't make any sense ? Oh, so he's not Peyton Manning. Clearly that means that he'll never be a good quarterback lol.

Glimmer of hope ? Did you even watch him in college ? He's a really smart, big, athletic qb who played brilliantly his senior year (and played well before that). Why, other than playing poorly for a horrible team in limited action, do you think he won't be decent ?

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

What exactly do you expect from Alex Smith, being a rookie on a terrible team with no O-Line, Running Backs or Recievers.

In fact what do you expect from any rookie? Look how much Eli Manning sucked in New York during his rookie year compared to this year. McNabb had a terrible first season as well. It isnt rare.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny.....2008

2008, you brought daunte culpepper into this discussion so if he is a dumb comparison it is on you.

Both you guys need to refine your thinking. If smith had simply played poorly there wouldn't be any discussion. My point gunny, is that he played worse than bad unless you can't tell the difference between how eli played in 2004 and how smith played in 2005. You can't tell the difference gunny? The difference between 6 TDs and 9 ints as opposed to 1 td and 11 ints? Eli had 3 fumbles his rookie year smith had 11. No difference? Hello?

Why would a runningback defend a guy who put the ball on the ground 11 times in just half a season of play?

And 2008, i don't mean to shock you but i'm not the 49er GM. My opinion will not effect poor millionaire alex smith. I can't banish him to the euro league even if i wanted to though his play this year might be more suitable for the australian semi pro league(he he). I'm evaluating him based on what he did on the field and if he is all pro a couple of years from now you can tell me about it. Sometimes it doesn't take long for a player to accumulate enough of a foul odor for us to start calling him a bust.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I didn't say he was a dumb comparison... I think he proves that you can't judge a player's career on one season. Smith had one of the worst rookie seasons of any quarterbacks ever, there is no doubt. I tend to lean towards him being a bust, but 7 games isn't enough time to evaluate anyone, let alone a rookie qb (who are notoriously bad their first year or two... why do you think every team is sitting them now ?).

And besides, running backs are supposed to help block. Take a look at what the Edge does for Peyton's protection.

I never said that I think he will or won't be a decent player. I tend to not want to give up on someone who showed so much promise less than one year ago. Especially coupled with the history of rookie qb's thrown into the starting job.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Let me get this right. Alex Smith WAS the #1 guy taken but because Leinart would have/could have been the #1 guy but decided not to enter the draft that makes Smith the #2 QB and doomed to Leaf/SMith fame.
    But if VY gets picked before Leinart this year which could easily happen that would make Leinart the Leaf/Smith QB. Sounds pretty stupid to me.
    The bottom line is teams have reached for guys because QB is such as critical position and a bunch didn't live up to expectations because QB is the hardest postion to transition to in the NFL. However, the odds are not good if you wait to draft one either. You just have to try and get the best one you can just like any other postion. Even the 1st QB picked can end up being a dud.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Hey, we blooded Eric Mangini for two years as a head coach and now look where he is, we can make Alex Smith a QB. :brow:

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

My point is simple. Just because there is a risk involved, you don't overlook a talented player because he is the second one in his position available in the draft. To overlook Young just because Leinart is taken at two is, as you say, the dumbest thing you could do.

Wasn't Smith taken #1 last year? :suspect:

Using your logic, if Young was taken at #2, Leinart would be a bad pick at #3. Or vice-versa.

I'll ask again because you totally ignored it before. Who you take at #3 if Bush and Leinart are taken #1 and #2?

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The only way Tide's thinking makes sense is if there is a significant difference in ability or character between the first QB and the second. If both QBs have the attributes to be equally productive at the NFL level you, as Jeff said, cannot ignore the second guy. This year is a perfect example of Tide's logic being flawed IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar