59 - 0 loss - Not Defense But Offense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by oldoilerfan, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldoilerfan

oldoilerfan Camp Fodder

Just finished watching the NE Titans Game on NFL Game Rewind. Before I had only watched clips on NFL Network, ESPN and the like.

I have to apologize to the Titan Team Players and the Defense. I ASSUMED the team quit and the defense especially gave a half-hearted effort. I was dead wrong. I'm sorry guys.

Why we lost? Poor Offensive Play Calling and Kerry Collins Play.

1. Offensive playing designed not to expose Collins as a bad QB. Therefore run no matter what. Throw in desparation 3rd and longs. I submit it is easier to drop balls in this situation. In contrast develop pass plays and the receivers will make the critical 3rd and long pass plays better than 60% of the time. We do not develop a passing game.

2. Kerry Collins play - more of the same (i.e., BAD) Good quarterbacks do not follow bad plays with more bad plays. Immediately after Lendale's fumble, KC fumbles a snap. Followed by KC throwing an interception.

My NE Titans Game Recap follows:

Titans 1st offensive series no points. NE 1st offensive series missed field goal.

Lendale White fumble - score 10 - 0
    KC fumble snap - score 17 - 0
    KC interception - score 24 - 0
    NE big play - score 31 - 0 ; Titan defense playing 5 - 7 yards off NE receivers, given the snowy conditions not uncommon. I saw effort on the part of the defense.
    Titan offense - more predictable offensive play calling. Gage drop ball not really a drop ball but a drop after he hits the ground. Karma bug at play.
    NE Moss hit hard by Griffin with 2:39 left in half; evidence defense did not quit. Again sorry Titan defense - effort was there. Riverman re-examine what you saw given the snowy conditions.
    Same old same old.
    Muffed Punt. Bad Oiler/Titan/Jeff Karma.
    NE Touchdown. 5 Touchdowns playing in mostly very good field position. Not unheard of given the snowy conditions.

Coaching and KC share the blame for the NE loss.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Your right a 59-0 loss has nothing to do with the defense getting lit up. Good call!:rolleyes:

You must be trying to win some award for lamest thread of all time.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

how in the hell could you stomach watching that again?

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

i think we lost in all three phases of the game ...

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I saw what I saw. No need to "re-examine" it. I don't doubt that footing made it difficult for the defense, but one or two few "good hits" by one or two players was one or two good hits by one or two players.

Collectively, the effort was not there by the team- including the defense. You just don't get 59 points hung on you if you are trying. Hell- they couldn't even stop the rookie FA QB from running in a score. Get real.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Was that the reason they had a long run for a TD?

Was that the reason we gave up over 600 yards?

Was that the reason they completed a flea flicker for a long TD?

Was that the reason for the long screen pass for a TD to a 30 something RB?

Welcher's TD with no coverage?

Who gives damn about effort they sucked worse than any defense us titan fans have ever seen from our team.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Was this intended to be a bizarro thread?

8. oldoilerfan

oldoilerfan Camp Fodder

You can't win games, trying not to lose. And that's why we lost. The most appalling aspect of the 59-0 loss is it looks just like any other Titan loss. The score only makes us look at it with "open eyes". Time will tell if a change at QB will prove my statements right!

9. Larry

Larry Camp Fodder

The offense was certainly awful and the turnovers were devestating. Regardless, I don't think in the history of football has the world ever seen worse coverage in the secondary than that abortion of a game.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Effort and intensity are 2 different things. We lack intensity right now and only have effort. But there is too much evidence of the lack of effort on D (and offense too) to ignore and just blame this on the offense. Yes, the offense was terrible and put the D in terrible positions, but the D was giving up big play after big play after big play (could repeat this several more times). We held Manning in check for almost a half. We held Brady relatively in check for a quarter and then EVERYONE on offense looked like All-Pros. And since you rewatched it, how many times did the Titans D create a pile and Maroney ran into the pile and pushed it 7 yards. THAT is a lack of effort. On the flip side, if Maroney - at 220lbs can knock a pile 7 yds, how come KVB - outweighing a TE by 20-30lbs can't knock that guy back into the QB?

And on screen passes, unless Tulloch or Bulluck beat the numerous blockers, NO ONE else shows up. That's a lack of effort and you can see it. Players on the other side of the field are jogging, not sprinting. If a RB can catch a screen, make a few moves and run 50 yds down the sideline, the backside CB and S should be able to get to the guy before he scores or they aren't sprinting. In HS this kind of backside pursuit is VITAL. And for us, right now, it is vital.

And quite simply, giving up 5 TDS in a single quater is unbelieveable for an NFL defense...no matter who you are facing and how banged up they are. You shouldn't give up 5 TD's in a game let alone in a quarter. Sorry, but the D quit just like the offense and a lot of the players did. Did everyone on D quit? No, but as a whole, the majority did on both units.

Surprisingly, one of the more criticized players last week by fans (start White, CJ stinks) was one of the few bright spots. CJ did everything he could. Too bad few others made his effort.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar