40 times vs route running

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fry, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

2. i think that the 40 time isnt as important as route running, because it doesnt matter how fast u run on a track, its about gamespeed which for some guys, such as vince is much much faster than the 40

3. TWR#1

TWR#1 Guest

how about route running and a fast 40...lol

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

then you have chad johnson

5. that would be nice

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Crazy thing about that is I've read Chad ran bad 40'as before the draft. High 4.5's.

Ty Cal had 2-3 tenths on him :shocked:

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Chad ran a 4.57 at the combine for his 40 time. This is probably similar speed to Jerry Rice.

But if you really wanna understand what is going on, you again have to go more indepth with the numbers.

At the combine they not only run 40's, but 10's and 20's. As long as your 40 isn't terrible, I'd say the 10 is more important because this IS the burst guys use on cuts for their routes. You need to be ABLE to run the routes correctly, but also accelerate through the cuts.

For example, Chad Johnson ran a 4.57...slow, right? But he's got pretty much the same 10 yard burst (1.56) as a 4.35 40 guy (Jonathan Carter) who's 10 is 1.55.

Ever wonder why no one can cover Steve Smith? He 'only' ran a 4.41 40. His 10 is even faster at 1.51.

Guys like Jerry Rice have great acceleration AND can run routes AND know how to set up DB's (with head fakes, arm motion, body lean, ect). They also have great hands and body control.

Unfortunately, GM's the last few years (not all) have become in love with 6-4, 220, 4.3. I'll take a Chad Johnson, Steve Smith or Jerry Rice over that any day!

Gut

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Yeah, a lot more goes on that just 40 yards. Having the burst, explosion and quick feet is what made Mason. I'd love to have another guy like that, and the numbers may point to it being Roby (hey he was the 1st WR we picked)....but things haven't happened for him. Bad hands? Attitude? Just not a football player? Or maybe he could be like Mason?

9. well then this brings tedd ginn back into the picture, garuntee hes faster than everyone that will be on the oppossing defence

10. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Nothing wrong with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar