31st in the league in sacks..scheme vs. personnel

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The defense did a great job of stiffening in the red zone, but you are asking for trouble if you count on that as your philosophy.

Personally I'd like to see us as a base defense go with

Morgan and Jones as DEs
    Casey and another big body at DT
    Ayers and Upchurch as OLBers
    McCarthy at MLBer
    Finny play the Polamolu role ie lining up a bunch of different places
    Verner and McCourty at CB
    Babineaux at safety

I would let Ayers and Upchurch play like a 3-4 OLBer being a threat to blitz at anytime and being in place to set the edge against the run. The 2 bigger DTs help protect McCarthy so he can make plays. This would be a tough defense to run on and stopping the run should be our main priority. Once we get a team in an obvious passing down then you can drop out the bigger DT and bring in another CB. Then you truely have a hybrid 3-3 look in which you could slide Jones down inside to DT and then move Ayers or Upchurch as a standup DE and have a standard 4-3 nickle package or Jones could stay at DE and we would have the 3-4 nickle look.

2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I would like to see us move Jones back inside and bring in a natural DE who can rush the passer. I believe the move could instantly improve our sack totals, here's why...

I believe another year of recovery for Derrick Morgan will return him to his rookie year form. He was effective in his limited action as a rookie getting to the passer. This year he improved later in the season and become a decent, not great, DE for us. I believe another year to recover and improve will translate into him becoming a capable DE.

Jason Jones used to be our most disruptive DT we had. He made his name filling in for an injured Albert Haynesworth and tearing apart the Steeler's O-Line. He continued his high level of play inside until injuries ruined his 2009 season. In 2010 he had a productive season at DT, but the team ultimately imploded before being re-structured last year.

Karl Klug lead the team in tackles this year with 7 and he did it from the DT position. Casey proved himself as a versatile DT who's great against the run and can also pressure the passer and pursue. I believe adding Jones to the mix inside will create havoc for IOL's due to their collective quickness and ability to disrupt plays. I believe rotating those 3 inside will instantly improve the pressure up the middle on passing downs and improve our sack numbers due to the fact that only 1 of them can be double teamed.

It's easier to find big bodies to fill up space than it is to find effective pass rushers in this league. I believe moving Jones back inside will take some of the pressure off of the outside guys and in effective create more "havoc" in the backfield rather its sacks or TFL's.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We drafted 3 Dts last time and signed Smith. Now we need to draft another DT?

4. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

We need to draft a DE IMO. Move Jones back to DT.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The scheme is fine, Gray knows what he's doing. It's horrible tackling that's at fault. Griffin and Ruud are awful stopping the run.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Defensive end needs to be addressed hard in this draft, Julian Miller is a guy i'm really high on very productive for West Virginia moved to DT in their 3-4 defense but is an natural defensive end.

[ame]http://youtu.be/YIrlEZNqVfw[/ame]

7. JCBRAVE

I hate trying to rate a prospect based on a highlight tape.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Im not basing it off a highlight type its the only tape I could find of him, solely focusing on his play

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Watch the West Virginia game tonight and you will see, he is not playing his natural position so keep that in mind they have him playing DT in a 3-4 however he played DE the last 3 years

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

Will do!

Tomorrow I'll be back with an opinion on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar