2022 Off-season Plan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans23, Jan 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans23

Titans23 Starter

Saturday sucked no doubt but its time to move on to what this teams needs to get over the hump. We have some major cap issues showing up and some holes on offense that needs to be resolved.

Lets start with the elephant in the room....Tannehill is not going anywhere let's be honest. His cap his is too rediculous to cut him and no team is going to trade for him after that playoff performance and his cap number. I'd love to explore options but best case scenario is he rebounds in 2022 and we trade him prior to loaded 2023 draft for QBs. So we need to build up the areas of weakness on the team in the meantime., simple as that. We are stuck with him for at least one more year so might as well strengthen the team as much as possible. As much as I would love to explore a Rodgers or Wilson trade, I'm being realistic here. Its likely not happening. We don't have the draft capital to pull it off. So here's what I would do if I were Robinson

Re-Sign:
    Harold Landry - #1 priority...have to get it done. Most of the defensive started would return with this resigning.

Ben Jones - 2-3 yr deal with the final year being no guaranteed money. He was the most reliable guy on OL this year.

Goeff Swaim - Solid cheap blocking TE and showed up in the passing game some this year.

Don'te Foreman - giving Henry the ball 28-32 carries a game is not sustainable as this year proved. Need to get him 8-10 carries a game.

Cut:
    - Roger Saffold he is just too expensive for what he is and we need cap space. Slide in Radunz in his spot. I don't think he's going to be our RT but this may work out.

Daryington Evans - he was easily replaced this year and can't stay on the field.

Jackrabbit Jenkins - No longer worth 10.5 mil and got torched several times this year.

Restructure:
    - Taylor Lewan- would be willing to sign him for another 2yr extension if it helps. He looked awful early but came back into form later in the season.

Kevin Byard- already said he would restructure to resign Landry

Let walk:
    Brown and Evans- We an't afford them and were essentially replaced later in the year by Cunningham and Long.

Free Agents:
    - Haden Hurst (TE) got replaced by Kyle pits but still young and an upgrade
    Or
    NJoku - finely showed some promise this season. So may be a late bloomer.

- Will Fuller (WR) yes I know his injury history but this team needs a burner that Tannehill can't overthrow.

Draft in order of priority:
    - RT - Quess is not a starter, yet again we need to draft on for the 3rd year likely in the 1st but I would really like to see us trade back and get an 2nd rounder back if a QB doesn't fall down the board.

- QB ( if a good one falls go get them but don't reach for one, Mahomes draft was considered weak as well so may be opportunistic that someone falls)

- TE (this moves up this list if we don't sign a FA)

- CB (Depth pick)

- WR - (if Fuller is not signed get a later round guy who can run. Need to stretch the field more)

- C/G (Depth)

- K (it really hurt us that we had no confidence in our kicker to make a 50-55 yrd field goal against the Bengals, its time to pick one)

#1 Titans23, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    • Cheers Cheers x 4
    • High Five High Five x 2
  2. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I agree on cutting Saffold but if we re-sign Jones, I could see Brewer moving into Saffolds spot and having Radunz compete with Lamm at RT.

Jackrabbit played great down the stretch and it would be hard to cut him from this group. I think he stays and maybe restructures.

Cunningham is the big wild card. Is he worth $10.5 million when we have Long Jr and Rice? Re-signing Evans would cost half that, is Cunningham twice as effective?

Landry gonna get franchised.

Could absolutely see us going QB in round 1 and TE in round 3.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

You want Landry, Jones, Swaim, and Foreman to all quit?!?!?!?!?!:D:p

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Don't really disagree with anything other than your FA choices. If we go get a TE, that poor dude is going to get trashed on here every day. It'd cost $8-12 mil for 30 catches and 300 yards that we can find off the street. And the last thing we need is an injury prone WR.

We can draft both of those things.

5. PattBattMann

PattBattMann Special Teams Standout

I would not have otherwise said it because we are in win-now mode, but I am starting to warm up to the idea of drafting a Qb in the 1st.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

We definitely need to go QB...with Tannehill's cap he's not going anywhere next season, unless a trade can be made

Tannehill and Woodside as a starter are not the long term answers

Need to draft a TE

Sign Landry and Jones

Restructure Lewan

Draft a RT but not in the first!

RB is good if we can go Henry, Foreman and Hilliard again

Draft a WR .Julio won't be around forever

7. Titans23

Titans23 Starter

This defense turned the corner once Cunningham came on board. I think they love him so I don't think they will let him go. Also look who was off the field most of the playoff game, Brown. Evans wasn't even active so that means he's definitely gone. Cunningham may be a restructure candidate as well.

8. DoubleBlue

DoubleBlue Highly Respected Poster

This is usually where my mind goes as soon as the year is over, good post.

First off i think sadly it wont matter what we do if Downing is still our OC. This is the second year in a row play calling has killed us in the playoffs (and picks). So it is crucial to get a new OC.

Not a lot of work has to be done on defense imo. Bring back landry, bring back Cunningham which i think we should be able to restructure his deal. They can cut or keep jackrabbit i dont care, he's easily replaceable with another vet (that dropped pick in the redzone is still fresh in my mind).

On O cut saffold, either sign a guard or RT in free agency (theres a few good ones out there this year) or draft one early. Tannehill and Lewan should be willing to restructure, hell Tannehill owes it to them I'd say, so that frees up a chunk of money. Sign a WR2 in free agency or high up in the draft, since we dont know how available Julio is gonna be. Draft a TE, and for the love of god draft a god damn kicker. Bengals kicker was drafted in 5th round last year.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Carp

Carp Starter

We're actually okay on the cap. Even before we cut the 1st player we will have an estimated 24.5 million in cap space. That's ample enough room to re-sign Landry and Jones and still bring a couple of low key FA signings.

Cutting Saffold and Lamm save us another 13.8 million. I imagine we will either cut or re-structure Cunningham as well. That's potentially another 5-10 million. Lewan is also a re-structure candidate. Byard expressed interest in re-structuring to keep Landry as well. We'll see what happens.

I think we'll end up having somewhere between 40-50 million in cap space. That should be plenty enough to re-sign our main guys, maybe extend Simmons and Brown, and make other FA additions to improve the team.

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

The QB class appearing weak makes it a more viable option for us. This may be our only shot and being able to take one of the top prospects without giving up the farm..

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar