2017 NBA Finals - Warriors vs Cavs - Rematch x3

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by VondyP, Jun 1, 2017.

?

Who's gonna take it?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2017.
  1. Cavs

25.0%
  2. Warriors

75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altitan

altitan Pro Bowler

Can they both lose?

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

No matter your opinion, I think we can all agree that having about all your talent on two teams is bad for the NBA as a whole.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Until the NBA has a hard cap and no max contracts it will continue to happen.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

I'm not saying Durant should have remained in OKC, but joining a team that got to 73 regular season wins, was an Andrew Bogut injury/dick kick away from a championship, and had beaten him the year before, was pure cowardice.

Moves like that and the LeBron/Wade/Bosh collusion have essentially ruined the NBA. And this is what I think people like you miss when you say things like this:
    This concept does not really apply in this case. Most jobs are not in entertainment, let alone sports entertainment. In the larger sense, the point of a sports league is to provide entertainment, and players should be restricted from personally undermining this goal in by making moves that guarantee them championships.

The NBA is uniquely susceptible to this given the nature of the game. With only five players on a team on the court at any given moment, having 4-5 superstars makes it excessively difficult for normal teams to win (has happened though; see Dallas Mavericks). This trend LeBron kicked off where superstars leave their teams to join with other superstars has rendered NBA seasons largely pointless. No one was going to beat the cHeat (in the East) when LeBron was there, and nobody is going to beat GS now that Durant is there. As long as Durant is at GS, the only chance of them losing would be due to injury or if LeBron gets Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, and Melo to sign for vet minimums with the Cavs (at which point there's completely no reason to even play the regular season; the Cavs and Warriors should be partitioned into their own league at that point).

Since the NBA is a company composed of other companies, Durant's decision to move from one sub-company to another, which was already stacked, hurt the larger company's product. If I take a job at a completely different place, it has no effect on a larger operation; if I move to a different department in my company, the company will likely have analyzed whether or not the move would help or hurt them before allowing me to make such a move.

Furthermore, there really isn't a concept of sportsmanship in a normal person's career. One would like to think that, for the professional athlete, the goal is to be the best by beating the best; but this has turned out to not be the case in the NBA, where now the best players are just joining together to ensure that they win.

So what would I have done if I was Durant? Probably let the Thunder know after the season before last that it was either me or Westbrook, and if they didn't trade Westbrook for a king's ransom, then I would have gone to any other team except for the Cavs or the Warriors (probably Boston; I think Boston with Durant would have given the Cavs a run for their money this season; or maybe even the Pacers with the same thought process). If Durant goes to one of the good East teams then it's very possible that we have interesting basketball in the East AND the West (since GSW would be reasonably beatable).

This. This is what needs to happen. People can cry about how hard caps are unfair to superstars since it makes them choose between winning and their value, but really, what the team is paying isn't the main source of income for a superstar athlete; the team is mostly just a platform for a superstar athlete to further their general brand.

#44 jplusip, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  5. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I'm not sure what you're driving at here. You think the league should have not allowed him to go to GS? The current rules don't have anything against him doing what he did, and I do not want a league who tampers with where players are allowed to go (which the NBA has absolutely done in the past and it came across as complete BS).

Why should he care if what he did soured the product of the game? It's not his job to make sure the league's talent is as well distributed as possible. That's for the owners and players association to figure out. Do they need to figure out a way to keep some of this from happening? I'd say so. The hard cap is probably the best answer like you and others have said. Make teams and players choose between themselves and the rest of the team. But even then, you could still have some collusion between players to evenly spread their numbers so they can all fit on a team, but that's up to them to decide on.
    He's one of the great talents of this generation, but even he can't do it alone. That "Kings Ransom" for Westbrook wouldn't guarantee a championship. It'd give them some pieces, and maybe some of those guys would work out, but who knows? He might just be stuck there doing the same old grind with different faces.

I'd rather go to a place where my efforts and talent can be rewarded as such than just sit there running the hamster wheel and not having any hardware to show for it. And maybe he considered Boston or the Pacers, and ultimately didn't like the fit or the team. Who knows? But I'll never say that was a cowardly move for going to a great team with Currie and crew. It was just him putting his desire for a championship above everything else. I can't fault him for that.

6. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

Right, that's why I agree with Fry that the league needs to work to prevent stuff like this from happening.

I'm not saying the league should dictate this (in general); I'm just saying specific scenarios (the cHeat, current GSW) should be prevented.

Because he's an NBA player and his job is to make the NBA an entertaining product? He likely doesn't think of it that way, but that's why he's a selfish coward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Never said it was. But he did make a decision that created an extremely lopsided league where one team is practically untouchable.

It could happen, but it would be far less likely. Superstars still have egos.

That's the point. No player should be able to make a decision that guarantees them a championship. Once you've done that you've ripped the heart out of the game.

So, basically, he's a selfish coward. He was afraid he'd never win a championship unless he made it so that one team in the league was essentially guaranteed to win it, so he made a decision that has essentially rendered NBA seasons pointless for the foreseeable future.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Calm down and just enjoy Leb*tch getting owned right now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

This is certainly karma for his cHeat ****.

9. titanthakur

titanthakur Pro Bowler

Nah, regardless of where lebron went he was gonna be remembered as the greatest of all time and regardless of how many championships the warriors win they will never be better than the 96 bulls or the dynasty of the lakers/bulls.

10. titanthakur

titanthakur Pro Bowler

Lebron is honestly his own dynasty having gone to 7 straight chips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar