2017 Free Agent WR's

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ICBW, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

To quote the late Princess, "if money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive."

I did a little digging on what kind of money it might take to land Berry:

In 2016, Berry counted $10.8M against the cap, 8th most of any DB in the league (including CB's). The average salary of the 7 DB's higher than him is $13M. I think to be in the game to get him, we'd probably have to pay him about that average.

So we could offer something like: 5 years @ $13M/yr for $65M total

This would make him easily the highest paid safety, with Earl Thomas and Reshad Jones each counting about $8M against the cap. Earl Thomas just recently signed a 4 year, $40M contract.

Based on our projected Salary cap of $72M, I would argue we could also easily front load a lot of that money, paying him a big signing bonus so that in 2-3 years when we need to pay Marcus, he would be a very small hit on our cap.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Crazy to pay a Safety $13M, Id pass if thats his rate

3. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Jesus 13 million for Berry is too much.

Harrison is only making 10 mill/yr iirc.

Berry might be 10.5.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Who cares? It's not your money, and we have to spend a certain % of the cap anyways. Need to spend it somewhere. Might as well go out and spend it on a proven difference maker at a position we need badly.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

And that's just how we end up in Cap hell!

6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Back the truck up and get Berry here. The cap can be managed to smooth over difficulties later.

Sign Berry and a legit corner in FA.

This would give us the flexibility to take advantage of an interesting class in the draft.

Would love to see...

FA

Berry
    CB1

Draft
    M. Williams
    R. Foster

That would be sick.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I didn't say could get him I said want him....I want Jennifer Aniston, ain't happening lol

8. 615nick

615nick Starter

Im not really on board with drafting a s super early or paying that much for a fa s, because we have so many bigger needs imo. But, if we can get a player with as much impact as berry has on a game, then 13m or a #5 pick are well worth it. We also have a ton of $, so like another poster said, we could front load his deal and only have a big hit the first 2 years and then he'd be getting regular high level s pay after that. Id rather a 4 year 52m deal, pay him 16, 15, 10.5, 10.5. If, we have a bunch of cap left after fa and rookie signings, we could even bump year 1 up to 20m if we wanted. We would obviously be moving on from searcy at that point, which would give us a little more to play with. It's a no brainer, imo.

9. dgup76

dgup76 Starter

Go get Eric Berry. He will be worth every dime.

10. ceeder

ceeder Starter

Berry + Bouye
    Williams + Foster

I just died. Too perfect.

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar