2017 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fry, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

I don't know how you can watch these players drop like flies in these late games and think that extending the playoffs would equal anything other than games of attrition.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

UCF and other fans want more games so they get a fair shake...

I wouldn't mind expanding the tournament, Bowl games are the only college games I watch live.

3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Good thing most teams waste a game or 2 every year against FCS schools.

I may stand alone on this, but I'm willing to sacrifice Alabama vs SCLSU Mud dogs every year.

That 1 game added back to the schedule for almost every team in the power 5 and by expanding the playoffs to 8, you're recalling only adding 4 teams and 2 more games.

As pointed out, someone was concerned about Alabama health going into last nights game. Guess that month long break was long enough to get healthy.

Of course we could always just extend the time frame. Does the national championship have to be played on the second Monday in January?

Plus, it's almost like these players are preparing for some sort of future playing professional football, how many games do they play?

4. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

Only way I would support the notion of expanded playoffs is if they dropped a game from the regular season.

I have zero interest in watching primarily second/third string players in a national championship game because all the other ones got knocked out by the time that game came around.

5. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

Like I said in my response to JCBrave, I'm fine with extended playoffs if and only if a regular season game gets dropped.

And I was the one who was talking about Bama's health. Yeah, they got healthy-er. (erm... healthier). They're still not healthy. They don't have their star LB and the guy behind him is also hurt (admittedly, the latter got hurt in practice). Then, in the Sugar Bowl, they might have lost yet another LB and a starting O-lineman.

Finally, bringing up these players eventually playing NFL-long seasons is dumb, because:
    1. The majority of them are NOT going to go on to be NFL players;
    2. They are not in the shape they will be (or should eventually be) in the NFL; that's a whole different ball game. So at this point, yeah, an extra game is still a lot.

6. 8and8

8and8 Starter

I know you hate seeing 3rd string QBs in the playoffs.
    [​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. 8and8

8and8 Starter

It's really only the SEC who still schedules non FBS opponents for the most part. I know the Big Ten Now does 9 conference games and doesn't allow FCS opppnents anymore.

8. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Army and UNLV are nothing to brag about.

Look, high profile teams playing a couple of cupcakes is beneficial. Mainly to the cupcakes, but still beneficial. If teams like Ohio State and Alabama only played conference and other power five schools, there would be no reason for any FBS teams to exist outside of the power five.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

Not as much as the Big 10 hates not having a 3rd string QB in the playoffs, since that seems to be the only way they can score points in the playoffs.

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

There really isn't reason now. It's not like they have a chance at a championship. At least FCS has their own Tournament for a national champ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar