10 Best Modern era boxers..

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RollTide, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Joe Calzaghe..

Good fighter but all this time the title he has held is a lesser one the WBO and in a weight class nobody cares about, super middleweight. Never moved up to fight roy jones nor did he try hard enough to get a fight with hopkins. Why not? They were making a lot more money than he was. His biggest victory was over jeff lacy who is maybe the 5th best middleweight in the united states.

Lately bernard hopkins has been calling out calzaghe all but calling him a homo. If he beats hopkins i might put him on my list but hopkins is now 42 years old..

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

1. Sugar Ray Leonard
    2. Pernell Whitaker
    3. Robert Duran
    4. Marvin Hagler
    5. Larry Holmes
    6. Bernard Hopkins
    7. Julio Caesar Chavez
    8. Salvador Sanchez
    9. Tommy Hearns
    10. Floyd Mayweather

Close, But No Cigar:

Marco Antonio Barrera
    Oscar De La Hoya
    Erik Morales
    Alexis Arguello
    Roy Jones Jr.

Will Contend One Day:

Manny Pacquiao
    Rafael Marquez
    Joe Calzaghe

HOF Material, Not Top 10 Material:

Tito Trinidad
    Meldrick Taylor
    Wilfredo Gomez
    Evander Holyfield
    Michael Spinks
    Luis Castillo
    Diego Corralles

3. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

1. Roy Jones Jr.
    2. George Foreman
    3. Sugar Ray Leonard
    4. Marvin Hagler
    5. Lennox Lewis
    6. Julio Caesar Chavez
    7. Mike Tyson
    8. Evander Holyfield
    9. Tommy Hearns
    10. Larry Holmes

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Larry Holmes was my favorite heavy weight and I rate him above Ali. Holmes fought a bunch of good fighters in his career and you didn't see him rope a dope, jab and dance like Ali. He beat guys by punching their brains out with na great jab and a vicious right hand. I remember when Holmes fought Cooney and Holmes purposely fired a jab just to the left of Cooney's head to get Cooney to move his head right into a brutal right hand. The guy was awesome.

On the lighter side IMO we were blessed to have three of the best welter weights fighting at the same time when Leonard, Hearns and Duran were going at it and that trio gave us some of the most memerable fights of all time. I'd put Duran much higher on my list if he didn't quit in the no mas fight.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

People like to hate on Tyson, but we all knew the same thing when watching him in his prime. He was unbeatable, and we'd NEVER (not even on espn classic) seen someone that could take people out that way. No, not Foreman either.
    If he only hadn't went nuts due to the media and women, who knows what could have been.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You put Duran low on your list because of one fight? Despite countless incredible performances from lightweight to middle?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Larry Holmes...

I like larry holmes a lot; you have to as a boxing fan because he held his title for 8 years and 20 defenses. But during that time there was nobody to fight. His toughest title defenses were against mike weaver, gerry cooney, an old ernie shavers twice. Come on. Holmes never had to fight a young foreman, liston or joe frazier.. I'll take the resume of ali over holmes. And head to head in their absolute prime ali wins the decision because he was faster.

Granted it was a little past his prime but holmes was the first heavyweight to lose his title to a lightheavy, micheal spinks.

Regarding holmes punching power. The same ken norton who didn't last 2 with foreman stayed upright for 15 against holmes. The same trevor berbick who didn't last 2 with tyson didn't even get hurt in 15 against holmes. Carl williams was stopped in one by tyson, 2 by mike weaver went the distance with holmes. Holmes had a great jab, one of the best ever and a nice right hand but lennox lewis has a comparable jab and a more lethal right hand..

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ali vs foreman..

This was no gimmick ali won with better stamina, chin and defense. And he didn't just stay on the ropes the whole fight. Foreman has called ali's performance "courageous". Ali smartly smothered foreman's punches, threw sharp counter punches and jabs. Ali landed a lot of punches in this fight and knocked foreman out!

If laying on the ropes was such an easy way to beat foreman why didn't frazier do it? Norton? Foreman was one of the harder punchers in the history of this sport! At the beginning of round one the announcer said that foreman wanted to pin ali against the corner. Well? Ali won that fight because he was the more complete fighter!

Try watching the fight sometime it's on youtube..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Congrats to larry holmes..

Voted to the international boxing hall of fame. Of course the question that most might be asking is why hasn't he already been there for the last 10 years. He was a sure hall of famer by 1988..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar