06 Salary cap - $110 mil???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nigel, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

2. I've been thinking a lot about an uncapped situation for the NFL. This would mean that teams could spend us much as they want on players and their salaries. Great for the Tycoons, bad for others. Could you imagine the NFL turning into soccer in England where, the same 3 or 4 teams would win the superbowl year in, year out.

An increase in salary cap room will make decisions easier yes, but i'm thinking more about the future of the NFL, what could happen in an uncapped year

3. If the cap goes up, you can bet the price of new contracts will as well.

If anyone is hurt by this, it's McNair. Their best negotiating leverage is that the Titans can't clear significant cap room without him signing an extension (or cutting him). They wouldn't have to with a $100M+ salary cap.

4. maximus

maximus Starter

Thats a big jump from this year(approximately 15 million) I bet the NFLPA wants a higher cap to prevent high priced veterans from losing jobs

5. Players, as a whole, still make their money whether they get cut or not. Teams still spend most of their allotment either way.

6. metal957

metal957 Starter

Either way that is a crap load of money and a giant leap in the cap like maximus said.

7. maximus

maximus Starter

I thought it was the bonus's that were guarenteed. When we cut a player, he doesnt get paid for the remaining years of his contract, but his contract still counts against the cap

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

If the cap jumped that much it still shouldn't stop Floyd from cutting the fat. It should just give us a little more ammo to get who we want in FA. Clear guys like Hoppy and Olson off the cap for good so we don't carry dead weight into next yr.

9. My point was that whatever money we save by cutting a player just ends up being paid to some other player who we sign using that free cap space.

It's like the Circle of Life, but with fewer cartoon animals and more sweaty jocks...

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good point on McNair. With the higher CAP Reese can just pay the 1 mil and take the CAP hit this year and not have any dead money down the road. It could be bad news for the Titans however because that could mean the Colts sqeak by and keep James.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar