Young/McNair Development Comparison

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Brian, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Big Fan

A lot has made of the way the Titans handled McNair those first couple of years. And it has been said that the Titans will be equally patient with Young. Let's get one thing straight: Vince Young is a better player than McNair was coming out of college, and will not take nearly as long to develop.

2. I agree. Young played against much better competition in college. Plus, the nature of the NFL now basically precludes teams from benching the #3 pick in the draft for 2 years. QBs get 1 year, and that's about it (unless they have a proven starter already like SD had Brees)

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i think the itch to play Vince will be greater than it was to play Steve
    ther might also be more of a team need
    there might also be a desire to save 2 jobs

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

That may even be an understatement. Young has the "it" factor. We are all going to see amazing things. MAC showed us the promised land and Young will take us there. I have no problems with the expression McNair v2.0.

I expect to start winning.

5. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

cmon now yall... quit getting all hard over vince. yes he played on a bigger stage but he was no where near the QB mcnair was coming out.
    better athlete.. yes
    better leader... probaaby
    more confident... yes
    smarts... about the same.. edge to mcnair
    but throwing the ball... not even close... and last tie i checked thats what a qb is "supposed to do" how many yards and tds did mcnair throw for in college? subpar competition... but he was on a team with subpar talent too

6. Brian

Brian Big Fan

I love McNair, but you're obviously just comparing stats. McNair has an unbelievably strong arm, but he still can't throw a touch pass or a good deep ball consistantly.

Keep browsing though.

7. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

BUT Kerry collins can!:brow:

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Imagine the stats Young could have had playing at Alcorn State.
    Sitting McNair for two years didn't neccesarily make him a better QB and his first year starting wasn't exactly spectacular in the passing category. Because McNair was coming from a situation where the level of competition was so much lower, and slower than the NFL it was going to take more time. Guys that play in the large conferences in college play against defenses much closer in speed and athleticism to the NFL, throw to guys much closer to NFL WRs in speed and talent and they play in front of large 80,000+ crowds under alot of pressure. That gives Young a year or two head start to begin with.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It took McNair 5 years to get a decent passing season to anyone other then Wycheck.

10. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

well thats all i reall have to go on considering the suprising lack of Alcorn state game film available on the internet.:hmm:

i hope ya'll are right though. i figure theres no more point arguing the issue anyway.. he's gonna be the starter, right? so lets just hope he develpos well and fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar