You set the WR depth chart......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Broken Arrow, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

My hope is that DGB and Hunter blow it away in camp and are day 1 starters with Wright in the slot but that's kinda doubtful. If that happens during any part the season then I'll be happy, this makes me more relieved that we signed Harry Douglas. Counting on a 2nd round pick with a few question marks and Justin Hunter could be really bad, Douglas provides a security blanket.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Exactly! I think the dream scenario for next season (or even later this season) is for Hunter and DGB to play outside with KW in the slot and Walker at TE. When we want a passing mismatch we put McCluster in the backfield and spread him out too!!! We WILL have mismatches on the field!

But short term, I think the plan is to get something really good out of the position Hunter is playing (and DGB is learning) so if Hunter does well...great. If not, we give DGB a go. We should know what we can get from KW and Douglas.

I don't have a lot of hope for Nicks other than a lower depth chart vet but I'd like to see what McBride and Deon can do!

I'd also like to see more creative uses for KW. We finally added an end around for him. Next is to line him up in the backfield and see what the D does!

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. 615nick

615nick Starter

If we are talking targets i think its wright, dgb, douglas, hunter, mcbride and lastly nicks. With dgb hunter and douglas getting most of the outside pt and wright and mcbride in the slot. I think whiz will be spreading the field a lot this year.

4. The Bukafax

The Bukafax Starter

My Week 1 Depth Chart:

Outside 1: Justin Hunter
    Outside 2: Harry Douglas
    Slot: Kendel Wright
    Slot 2/4th WR: Hakeem Nicks

DGB will be in the outside 2 spot as change of pace mismatch.
    Tre Mcbride will trade time with Nicks in the 4th spot.

5. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

Terrell Owens played for University of TN Chattanooga............

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

That's my dream scenario as well. If Hunter can figure it out, doesn't have to be an elite WR, but atleast a solid respectable WR2. At 6'4, he's likely got a few inches over most CBs. Then DGB on the otherside, who has elite potential to get to a Dez, Calvin, Marshall type of impact for a team (could also be Britt/Blackmon 2.o). With KW and Walter at the slots & either Cobb/Fowler at RB (not McCluster). Cobb/Fowlers power game could come in handy if they leave the middle open to play coverage. Also, they can pickup blitzes - which could come in huge. Can throw it deep to DGB or Hunter if they get 1v1, can hit KW or Wright working the middle of the field, or hand it off to Cobb/Fowler to get an easy 6 yards. Oh yeah, we have one of the most athletic QBs in the game, who can roll the pocket and extend plays.

Options, we have option. Really hope Whisenhunt can gel this team together, we actually have potential.

McBride has potential to end up our WR3. If Hunter flops (very possible) and he outplays Douglas (very possible). I like Harry, but he only has 1 year with over 557 yards & he's 30. McBride can play the outside, he's a solid 6'0, 210, & a 38" vert. He reminds me of Michael Crabtree the more I watch. With that being said, he still has alot to proove.

7. kenny

kenny Starter

I think it's unrealistic to think DGB will be the #1 from day 1. He sat out last year, and is not a very good route runner. KW hates WRs that do not run accurate routes. I believe we heard him enough on that last yr. I LOVE the kid and hope he is amazing from Pre to Post Season. However, being realistic I see him getting plenty of time in Pre Season, and battling Hunter in camp. That is what Hunter said on the Caravan Tour. He said he was told He would be competing w/ DGB. DGB is a freakish athlete, has a HUGE catch radius, and very much looks the part of WR1. I really wanted us to draft him. Now I just hope he keeps his nose clean & lives up to the hype. It is far past time that one of the WRs we drafted lives up to their draft hype. We need it badly.

However, I still think it is far too early to give up on Hunter considering the QB play, oline play, and lack of catchable balls thrown to him last yr. PK gave up some very interesting info about uncatchable passes thrown to WRs. KW & Hunter were both in the top 12 of WRs thrown the most uncatchable passes that counts as drops on stat sheets. Let me see if I can find & post a link.

The struggles of Justin Hunter and Tennessee Titans' receivers in 2014 - Tennessee Titans Blog - ESPN

The link above is a very interesting read and sheds some light on a reason to be more optimistic about the WR group. I really thought it would be a strength for this team last yr. With better oline play, less predictable play calling, & Better QB play it should be. The biggest question is just how much of those 3 will we get? Could be an exciting year in TN.

**Edit: Read the article for a 2nd time. This really stood out to me about Hunter's season last yr. He was targeted 67 times; of those targets 27 were deemed uncatchable. That 40.3% uncatchable rate was the highest in the NFL.

Wright had a 32.2% uncatchable rate which ranked 12th in the NFL. It says a lot about Wright that he still had a decent year.

I think these rates give us a lot of reason to be excited about the WR group. IMO it shows that our rough QB situation really hurt our WRs production. I think we all realized that to some degree, but for me it really sunk in after reading this article. I really hope the competition at WR, better QB play, better run game/competition at RB; and improved play calling by KW makes for a much improved WR group.

#47 kenny, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The good news is we have 2 guys with amazing potential. The bad news is, we have no way of knowing if either of them will show up as a true #1 WR this year.

I really think if the Titans are smart, they will do what the Vikes did with Moss. Don't make him learn all the wr positions and perfect the route tree before playing...just have him do what he does best and add more as he gets better at them. Put him in for Go routes, fades, posts, wr screens, and hitches. Hitch and WR screens will get him the ball quickly for yac. Fades for short red zone and Go/Post for deep throws. I really wanna see him be a devastating run blocker too. If he can help there and run the routes he knows, he can have a nice impact. How much they rush him will have a lot to do with DGB's play as well as Hunters.

Im not optomistic about our pass blocking as the excuse for Levitre playing so poorly for two years was his health? Not buying it. And no one knows if Poutasi can even play RT in the NFL let give us confidence he's beter than Oher was last season. The only positive here is from Mariota, Fowler, Cobb and playcalling. Our run game should be much improved and as such, we should not be in nearly as many 3rd and 10's or longer. 3rd and 5's are much easier in general, don't rely on us having a 5 man protection for a 7 step drop, and Mariota can always extend the play or run for the 1st down himself.

9. kenny

kenny Starter

I completely agree about putting DGB in the areas he can excel early & then expand on it later. I really think that we need to show the rest of the AFC South & NFL that he is a threat; regardless of the year he missed. If we do not play him early I think it will be a mistake, unless he is just not ready.

I know it is really early to express concerns, but my biggest concern is the oline. It really should not be as much as this team has invested in it the last few years. I am concerned that Poutasi (Sure I misspelled that) will not transition to RT in the NFL. I was shocked we didn't take Clemmings instead. I have to admit I do not know that much about Poutasi. Until we picked him I had not heard much at all about him. I think we have to hope that he does much better than most are giving him a chance to do. Most are expecting Bell to beat him out at Rt, which does not say much for him IMO. Carolina seemed to think Oher was an upgrade over Bell. That is concerning to me. Levitre played like trash all year & I saw nothing to make me think he was improving at all at any time. I think until he is not starting our oline will have issues. Hard to replace him though without another good guard to take his spot. Schweinke seems to be injured/miss time every year. The biggest bright spot on the line last year seemed to be Warmack finally showing up at the end of the year & Lewan playing solid at LT before getting injured.

10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I agree Poutasi should be at Guard. That said, he has played LT often, so hopefully he can transition. I was surprised they didn't take a true RT earlier either. I think Poutasi will be fine, but that's a big gamble given how terrible our line is and was...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar