You can show any clip of Chris Brown you want . . .

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eberry, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

But,

(A) he's not the kind of player I had in mind to succeed Eddie George. No "it". Not someone I could ever see myself saying, no matter what, "yeah, but we got Chris Brown." Either no drive to be that kind of player or unable to attain it. (not to replace or fill Eddie's shoes, but a player like Vince or Keith or Chris Hope right now that makes you proud to talk about, and whom other fans see in your jersey when they think about your team)

(B) Here's the totals for the guys going into their 5th years (2003 draft):

Larry Johnson 4205 yds, 47 tds
    Willis McGahee 3365, 24
    Domanick Davis 3195, 23
    Chris Brown 2295, 11
    William Green 2109, 9
    Onterrio Smith 1123, 7 (only played 2 years)

We should be competing with the Larry Johnsons and Willis McGahees, not the William Greens. And the reason I hate the whole Chris Brown thing is because he CAN win the job, but you know in your heart of hearts that he's not going to compete with the likes of Johnson or McGahee (and that's just from the 03 draft). He would underachieve for a few years as our starter, giving flashes every once in a while, till he's 28 or 29 and still hasn't done much of anything, but every year we say "yeah, but" there was this thing or that thing. Meanwhile, there's tons of rb's that haven't had a chance we could have been testing out, but, you know, Chris might break through some day, so ... he we are.

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I don't expect him to be the next EG, or compete with LJ or WM. I think a lot of us (probably most) think that way. He's a good back for rotation. If he's the "starter", I'd be surprised if he gets the ball anywhere near what Eg used to. So that's why we have a lot invested in our other 2 RB's

The thing about CB is if he can stay relatively healthy behind a good line, his strengths can really help the running game. If he gets hurt, you hope between two 2 round draft picks we can still get some good production. I think it'd be hard for things to get bad behind this line in the 1st place.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

why don't you give us the amount of carries each of these guys got. Of course LJ is going to have a lot more yards, he's had a lot more carries. CB Barely played last year. Get real. Also, the crappiness of our Oline should be taken into account too. That is fallacy.

Those are bad stats.

4. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

Those aren't bad or good stats. Those are just 'the stats.'

If you want to argue carries, couldn't you make that argument about any player that showed some promise but just never made it (e.g., if Kevan Barlow had more carries he would have been a superstar)? At some point (say around the 5 year mark), carries begin to factor out. Half of your NFL career is gone and either you have become someone or you have not. And it's not like Johnson and McGahee didn't have people in front of them either.

5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Skewed to show a false comparison. So yes they are bad stats. CB has no choice in starting last season. Herny had the hot hand so they went with him. You add the injuries he has gone through you are looking at a player who has only played in an average of a little over 8 games a season. If you project that over a 5 year career where he starts all 16 games each season you get a number much closer to LJ.

I also doubt with the team drafting back to back 2nd round RBs that CB is expected to be a long term answer.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Henry's success last year being attributed to improved offensive line play and the type of attention Young commanded from defenses is a popular argument on these boards.

I think our O-line is a strength. They make heads up plays. :vince:

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

YPC:

Chris Brown: 4.2
    Larry Johnson: 4.7
    Willis McGahee: 3.9
    Domanick Davis: 4.1
    Onterrio Smith: 4.9
    William Green: 3.7

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

more carries means more chances to get hurt, which chris seems to do a lot. hell, willis mcgahee missed his entire first season with the bills and still has 1000 more yards than brown.

9. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

when i opened this thread, i actually thought it was talking about the rapper...

:sarcasm:

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I look at things very similar. Chris Brown can have good runs. For what he is paid, it's a good deal for the Titans. He's not a superstar athlete and hasn't achieved what LJ or McGahee has, anyway you look at it.

Still, he could have a really good year if he becomes the starter. I'll be rooting for C.Henry or White to get the majority of the carries, only because I'd like to see one of the younger guys outperform and become a long-term go to guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar