Y is Griffen playing at CB?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Nick had 3 tackles in the Super Bowl ..that's it
    an a total of 13 tackles and 1 INT in the '06 playoffs (4 games)
    real pivotal play

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

But how did the Receivers he play on do?

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i watched quiet a few jacksonville games, living in the area and all(before sunday ticket). i dont remember any stand-out performances, but you could tell from day one he was going to either be an all-pro S or CB, depending on where they played him.

4. stillmatic23

stillmatic23 Guest

I dont know why they wont move him back to safety, but i wish they would just so all yall can shut up about it Lol.

5. TWR#1

TWR#1 Guest

maybe its part of the movement to the cover 2 D,where FS and Cb's are somewhat interchangeable??

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Nice post

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I think the truth of the matter is, for a Safety to really understand coverages, he has to know CB coverages too. Exposing him to that position will only help him become a better Safety. Being a rookie, he is also less exposed, since he will have Safety help. Also not a bad plan to get him experience at that position also, and see how he does, in case of injury to a starter.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO it has nothing to do with developing Griffin to know or be better in coverage, man on man or whatever. It has to do with the fact they feel he can be a stud CB like Rasheen Mathis. That is it in a nutshell. If they are right he stays there is whole career. If down the road they see he is decent but not any better than say Finnegan then maybe they move him. They think and would like him to be Rasheen Mathis like at CB so that is where is is starting out and until they find out anything different he will stay there.

Now it is true of he basically gets beat out at CB and moves back to S he could still move over if a starter went down.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

...and don't forget that Finnegan was a safety in college as well. It seems like they are pleased with the progression he has made to CB and perhaps saw more of the raw talent in Griffin that they saw in Finnegan. Looks to me like they are going to try it again - as much as it sucks in the short term, I do have to say it might be worth the risk.

I agree that this isn't a ploy to just develop his coverage skills as a S - they intend to try to make the switch. At worst if it fails then we still have a stud S who has developed better coverage skills, and at best we have either a replacement for Pac in the secondary... or (scary thought) when/if Pac returns we have what could be one of the best CB tandems in the league. There was definitely the perception among scouts that Griffin appeared to be a prime candidate for an NFL CB. If so we got a steal late in the 1st rd.

10. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I actually think Griffin is a better coverage guy than Ross, even at UT.

It stuns me that some of you think you can already tell how good he will be at CB...from a few media reports from OTAs. Ridiculous. We'll see how well he can play the position over the next few weeks, especially during preseason games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar