Would you vote to ban hand-held cellphone use while driving?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I agree with 'buoy and BR... what's next? no BJ's while driving? :grrhee:

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

My question is: What the hell is so important that it can't wait? What did we do 10 years ago when no one had a cell phone? Did the world still turn when there wasn't a cell phone store on every corner and a phone in every pocket?

Locally, about 2 years ago a man and his 6 year old son were walking down the side walk and a girl trying to dial a number on her phone veered of the road and killed both of them.

If we say that it is just special intrest BS than the same thing could be said about drunk driving or gun laws. Someone had some family member killed by some dude with a gun or some drunk caused an wreck that killed this persons mom and now we have laws restricting behavior. Should those be thrown out? I'd almost have to say that every law ever writen was done because someone had some form of intrest in it. I don't think they just started making up stuff. You could even go as far as to say that the Constitution itself was brought forth by a special intrest group, hell why don't we throw that out too.

If a phone call is so important pull over and devote your full attention to it!

Hey, but that is just my opinon!

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

None of those require use of hands, or very minimal/quick use, nor does it require much attention (especially the wife).

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Whenever someone tries to justify one of these laws they always cite an example with some kid dying. It never... and I mean never fails. Not trying to be overly harsh in my response to you cajun... but yeah. every time it's OH MY GOD! WHAT ABOUT THE PRECIOUS CHILDREN... blah, blah, blah.

I don't think it's at all fair to equate the use of cell phones to drunk driving. So I won't even debate that.

I agree that talking on your cell while driving is dangerous, but what makes it worse than the myriad of other things that drivers distract themselves with while operating a vehicle. It just seems simplistic and arbitrtary; a law whose sole purpose is to moilfy a certain group. If the government was actually interested in such things it would try to pen something more all-encompasing.

Special interest groups obviously have there place, but these days generally they are representitive of a vocal minority only... and more often than not they only to distract the government from things they should actually be concerned with.

In Canada it's illegal to ride a bicycle without a helmet. Illegal! WTF? They justify this by saying that injuries caused by bike accidents put a strain on our government run health care system. This is a classic example of special interest group BS. I'm an adult, and I can no longer make the choice to ride to the store on my bike with out a helmet.

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Just wanted to add that I'm sure our opinion on this issue isn't all that different. The only place we really differ is in how we see the governments role in resolving it.

7. cajuntitan

You're right about the kids, but those are the stories that sick in peoples minds. I'm sure there are many that don't involve kids that can also be used.

I wasn't really trying to equate them just pointing out that special intrest groups lobbied for stiffer laws.

I can agree with that.

This is quit different if you ask me. They are restricting your freedom which in the end only protects you. It is kind of like seat belt laws. If you fall off your bike while riding it without your helmet or you get ejected while not wearing your seat belt the only person you hurt is yourself. On the other hand if you are yapping on your phone and veer of the road and hit some one riding their bike it isn't going to matter if they had there helmet on because you just overlayed the road with their brains. In other words a cell phone ban would protect others.

The major problem I see with cell phones is that people just can't seem to control themselves. Its like I'm in my car I just have to talk on the phone!

A few months back my wife and I were going to Baton Rouge. Currently there is quite a bit of construction on Interstate 10 between Lake Charles and Baton Rouge. So, we are driving along when traffic starts to slow down. I assumed that it was due to the construction. Well come to find out that it was a lady having a good ol time talking on her phone. We get past her and traffic opens back up. Well were going 75ish when all of a sudden the same lady holding up traffic not 10 min. earlier is bobbing and weaving going what seemed about 90. So, she flies past us and we forget about her. 10 min after that traffic slows to a crawl again. This time was it construction? No, it was the same lady. She must have got up the road and had another phone call and low and behold she was tying up traffic again. Here is the point. GPS, radio, CD's, wife, kids, etc. all are distractions and do cause problems, but most often those activities are short term distractions. Cell phones on the other hand are most often long term distractions. People can observe their surroundings and then when it is safe change the radio or CD. Talking on the phone get you involved for extended periods of time and opens up a much greater chance for problems.

I guess it all comes from ones perspective. I worked for the LA DOTD for five years and heard all of the horror stories about wrecks and cell phones. I now work for the Parish (county) government and hear the same stuff. It is very rare that you hear that someone was changing their radio and clipped someone, but cell phones I hear that all the time.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. cajuntitan

You are probably right. I would also like to add that having worked for the highway dept. I've seen some pretty crazy stuff out on the highways and as I said in my earlier post it has a lot to do with perspective.

I'm also a runner and I spend a lot of time running down the side of the road, so I have that point of view also.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

We've had this law in the UK for a while now.

IMO it's just a revenue exercise for the police.I don't really find it inconvenient though.

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I'm against making a law against cell-phone use, because I honestly do use my phone on the road. Whether for directions or for work stuff, I find myself being on the phone for a bit. I don't use it on the highway, and I don't use it to chit-chat (my convos are almost always under a minute).

Sometimes, a driver needs to use his/her phone. What's irresponsible is to carry on conversations that totally take you away from the road. And like others have said, where does it end? A girl in my high school graduating class died in a car accident while fiddling with her iPod Car Deck. I've heard of people losing attention for a second changing the radio station. Bad things happen on the road, but are we going to ban all CD, iPod, DVD, GPS, etc systems or better yet, any and all driving distractions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar