Would you ride out the $23 mil for '06?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 10, 2006.

?
  1. Release McNair

26 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Keep McNair for '06

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Play Floyd Reese for a moment. Here is your situation. You've negotiated until it is obvious nothing can be resolved which leaves you with two choices. One, you can release McNair after the draft and use $10 mil to sign the draft and pick up a few free agents to fill holes or, you ride out the $10 mil and give yourself the best opportunity to win in '06 with McNair and go with the rookie in '07 and beyond.

Which do you do?

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'd go to Disney World!

then...
    I'd cut McNair and pay down the cap for future years.
    That is what Starkiller said the best move for the 10 million is.

Starkiller also would get McNair to sign...
    but that is where he and I differ.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Release him, need the money to sign the rookies.

4. metal957

metal957 Starter

How bout we trade him anyone think of that?

5. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

Why should another team trade for him when there is a good possiblity he may be released?

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

What? Release Steve? After all that money we spent on a shiny new breastplate? And it can't be returned after 14 days.

Seriously, what I wanna know is can Steve play or not??? Cuz I'm gonna be ticked off if he goes somewhere else and lights it up.

7. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

I can live with Steve lighting it up for someone else ( I am a fan and respect what he has done for the TITANS), I wish him the best of luck, but we must move on with the numbers attached.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

I'm as big a McNair homer as anyone, and I feel strongly that it would be in everyone's best interests for the contract situation to be worked out.

But if he's committed to these delusions that he's still an elite QB and won't budge in the negotiations, then cut him.

And have Eddie George be the guy who breaks the news to him.

9. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

He's already made over $50 million here and I think he could afford to play his last two seasons for $4 or $5 millon a year. Call me crazy! I can understand both sides of this deal but, really, it comes down to the fans (or at least it should)... The fans pay the bills, right? Of course, we have no say so but I've said before that I don't feel I should have to be loyal to a guy who's become filthy rich off of a fan base like TN and then decides to go somewhere else because a few million a year isn't good enough. Sorry, I've always been a McMair fan and will probably continue being one but when the Titans offer him a deal (and they will) I don't think he's going to take it. I don't have a clue as to how much money will be offered by the Titans but I'm guessing 3, 4, 5 million a year for a couple of years. Isn't that enough money??? I don't blame the Titans for cutting him when they do. Steve even said himself that they were going to have to renegotiate terms going into the 06' season so this shouldn't be a surprise. Like I've said, this will be a lot like the Eddie George deal where The Titans will make an offer and Steve will have to take it or leave it. I hate to say it but I don't think he's going to take it.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Based on the scenario Jeff gave we would have to cut him. With our FA signings we need the CAP space to sign our draft picks. I'm not sure we can restructure enough other contracts to keep McNair at his current contract and even if we could we shouldn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar