World Cup 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yossarian, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

England is probably thinking the same thing. Beckham knows Donovan inside and out. Probably knows his dirty laundry too.

I do think the bracket is easy. England wants to choke too. So it's all good even with England.

But the USA has lost to Iran before. So when things look their brightest, we usually mess it up.

I just wish our team had someone on it who finds the net. I don't think Donovan is that guy. He seems to come with some baggage. And doesn't seem capable of getting it done. Adu on the otherhand, is lifeless during the season, but on the world stage always seems to shine. I mean he started twice and had a goal and an assist.

Altidore seems to have a skill set, but I'm not sure it translates to goals at the cup.

I have a good feeling about Ching, but he hasn't proven anything. Just seems we play well with him out there.

2. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

What happened to Adu? I remember for years he was 'the next big thing', but then seemed to fall off the wayside. Last I heard he was at Benfica, that still the case?

Either way, I'm looking forward to getting all hyped up about England and watching us crash out on penalties in the Quarter Finals..... again. :rolleyes:

3. Ericgolonghorns

Ericgolonghorns Camp Fodder

Freddy Adu has really regressed, he hasn't gotten playing time at his club overseas and even to the team he was loaned out to didn't award him many minutes. It is very doubtful that he will even be in the roster for the World Cup team this cycle.

Even more important however, is the injury of Charlie Davies from a car accident the day after the Honduras match in the qualifications. Davies was a very promising striker for the U.S. and the U.S. has yet to find a formation that replaces him.

Onyewu, our veteran defendor was also injured, but it may be more likely that he'll be able to play this world cup -and hopefully so.

As of right now there is a lot of speculation that Jermaine Jones will play for the U.S. Jermaine Jones is a star midfielder in the Bundesliga (German soccer league) If he does join the U.S. he would easily be the top player in terms of talent for the U.S. side and allow Dempsey to play striker with Altidore. (A more natural role for Dempsey)

The U.S. are scheduled to play the Netherlands in march for a friendly - this will be a huge test to the strength of the U.S. side and what we can expect for the world cup as the Dutch were unbeaten in their qualification rounds and are highly ranked in world soccer.

In terms of the draw I like our position, whereas beating England will be a tall order U.S.A. is expected to beat Slovenia and Algeria and that should be sufficient to advance out of the group.

To be honest I don't think Beckham is a starter anymore for the English side and if U.S.A. plays the way they played Spain in the confederation cup it won't matter how strong England shows up U.S.A. would win. The way I see it, U.S.A. has the most upside potential but due to rather bad coaching and injuries consistently fulfilling that potential is at the very least a serious challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar