With two days before the draft...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

...here are my thoughts on pick #19.

I don't touch a WR or CB. I think the draft is deep enough at both positions to get a guy in the second or third here. Ginn isn't proven enough as a WR, Jarrett and Bowe are too slow and Meachem too inexperienced though the best of this group. Just my opinion.

The Titans defensive line was a major concern last season and they will lose a number of their players in 2008. Odom, LaBoy, Haynesworth, Starks and Long are free agents after the 2007 season and none have shown anything to deserve a big, long-term contract.

I think the Titans covet a pass-rushing DE more than anything. The defense was unable to pressure the opposing QB with their front four as Vanden Bosch was double-teamed much of the season. I think they also feel a run-stuffing DT would go a long way towards solving their run defense issues.

Some of the mid-round defensive linemen, Jamaal Anderson, Jarvis Moss and Alan Branch will be graded differently due to a number of issues which may mean someone slides.

Anderson is extremely raw and didn't dazzle scouts as much as expected with his speed (being a former WR) at the Combine. His ranking has been anywhere from the top ten to around the 20th spot. Moss may concern some teams with his medical history and lack of experience. I've seen him ranked in the top twenty and as far down as early in the second round. Branch was once thought to be the top DT in the draft and has fallen as of late due to stress fractures in both legs and not appearing to be in top condition at the Combine.

I think the Titans will take the one who falls at #19 if they don't trade out. If all three were there, Anderson would be my choice with Branch #2.

If the Titans swap with the Chargers to get Turner, I think you can add CB and WR back to the mix because there is a ton of talent and there will be some quality value there.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How does one go from WR to DE?

Quite a change of positions there.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Apparently, he grew. A lot.

I like your plan, Jeff. I hope the FO believes in it too, and I hope Anderson or Branch slides. Moss is there in almost all mocks, for whatever that's worth.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Any chance we try and trade on of the DTs on draft day to move up in the first? I know the Rams are interested in Kris Jenkins. If Big Al was mooted as a possibility, I'm sure they'd consider that as well.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Interesting point about the number of D-Linemen who will be FA next year. I've seen it in one mock at 19, and I could see it more easily at 30 if we trade down - and that would be Justin Harrell.

I'm pretty sure LaBoy will get a contract extension, and we will have Mahelona, Brown (is he on a one year or did we release him) and Long if we want him.

Alan Branch...stress fractures are a thing to steer clear of. I've seen them end the career of many servicemen. Branch could continue falling past 19 as far as I'm concerned.

6. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I like us getting Turner and taking Harrell at 30.

I've been saying D-line this whole time.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Stay put and take Harrell at 19. He won't be available at 30.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Just my 2¢ but I don't think anyone will touch Haynesworth and a deal for Starks would need to include a contract agreement with him along with something the Titans would take.

So I think it's a long-shot at best.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Someone will pick up Haynesworth. Stomping someone's face doesn't hurt your value much in the NFL. I think he might even get a bonus for it like rappers do with 'street-cred'.

10. i want ginn, so maybe we trade down and get turner and ginn is still there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar