With the 33rd Pick of the 2016 Draft: Clemson DE Kevin Dodd

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I just pointed out a guy at the same position in the same exact conference who got 141 tackles, and wasn't drafted until the late 4th.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

And why do you think that is? Could it be that Jack was much more versatile, more athletic, and a better ILB? Or is it because he had 68 carries as an underclassman, like you indicated?

And when was Martinez ever elite? It's almost like that example proves my point.

#472 Fry, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

If he were that much better, it should have shown up in his production. You see the ball carrier, you go tackle him. It's not exactly rocket science. Which is why ILBs other than Jack produce a lot of tackles. Eric Kendricks didn't seem to have a problem making tackles despite being on the same team in a conference which isn't run-heavy.

Martinez racked up over 50 more tackles than Jack's best effort, and was one of the top coverage LBs in the country. To me, that signifies a better player, and he was a better player as a rookie. If your argument is that Jack is more talented, and deserves time to prove that he's a better player, then Dodd deserves the same grace period. Until then, he remains an overhyped college player who has been a mediocre professional one.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Fry

It showed up on tape, which is why Jack went almost three full rounds ahead of Martinez.

My argument is Jack was better, is better, and always will be better.

And Dudd was the product of playing on one of the most talented fronts in the country while beating guards and tight ends to be give the illusion of production. Nothing stood out with him on tape, and now he's perpetually injured.

As much as you think Jack was bad last year, he still produced more than Dudd, even when Dudd was on the field.

Jacksonville played Jack at Sam last year because they're the ****ing Jaguars. I can't explain why Jacksonville does the things they do, no one can.

5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

He's better, yet he has produced significantly less than Martinez at both the professional and collegiate level. Some logic.

I've seen Jack's tape, and it's not close to being in the same league as Foster, or even Cunningham. He's a good athlete who flashes some and disappears a lot. Not a hard hitter, not good at disengaging blockers, nor at even finding the proper hole to fill.

Poor guy, had to get his hands dirty in the NFL by having blockers on him instead of being able to run around untouched, and was abysmal as a result. And didn't a few guys like Clark, McKinley, and Vanderdoes play on UCLA's line and get drafted high recently? But yeah, he was doing all the work by himself while Dodd, who actually has to engage blockers, did nothing.

6. Fry

Dudd did nothing for the first three and half years in college, then turned it on his last five games. Somehow he parlayed that into being the #33 pick. Good for him, I guess. Sucks that JRob got bamboozled though.

7. Fry

Lol.

Brian Urlacher had the same issues at Sam. Became a Hall of Fame at MLB. Amazing how playing out of position on a bad team can affect a guy.

8. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

So this tape that you claimed was so great for Jack trumps his lack of production, yet the same tape which showed Dodd to be a first round player in the opinion of many was no good because he didn't produce up to your standards? Your arguments are really inconsistent.
    I'm aware that Jack's skillset isn't suited for SAM LB, but I'm pretty sure Urlacher could manage more than 15 tackles in a season at the position.

9. Fry

You're trying to get me to explain taking a player at #33 that I didn't like. I can't do that.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yeah- I didn't like the pick. Hoping for the best- but foot injuries in DE's are REALLY hard to recover fully. The stress the foot is put under from being an NFL DE is tremendous.

I might even feel better if he displayed a better attitude. But when Mularkey calls you out for lack of effort, that's a bad indictment of character in my book.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar