With the #10 Pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select... Lane Johnson, OT/Oklahoma

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JiminyBillyBob, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edward nigma

edward nigma Starter

Normally, teams draft "potential" when they can let the player sit and learn and it won't hurt the team (like a contender - playoff bound year in and year out) or they draft "potential" when they don't expect to be good for a couple of years (but the organization is willing to take a risk). When you feel your team is on the cusp of being a contender, you normally don't draft "potential." You want someone who can come in and contribute immediately.

The Patriots and San Francisco are examples of teams that can draft potential (because talent wise they are stacked). We are on the cusp of being in the playoffs or this staff is going to be fired, so they are less likely to draft potential. They need the immediate contributor.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I am definitely a Lane Johnson fan, however as I've said many times, put a competent RG next to Stewart and he's back to Pro Bowl form.

There's no need to further complicate things by moving a LT to RT, a RT to RG, and having them play together for the first time. IMO it's easier to plug a RG in at RG and take off. When you start playing guys out of position, things get sloppy. Rights become lefts, lefts become rights, and that's no good for anyone.

If anything, draft Lane Johnson to play Guard for a year or two, he's tall, but he gets really low, so I think he could make it work better than Stewart at Guard.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Every player you draft is based off of potential. Some just have more than others in regards to floors and ceilings and some are further along but nobody is a finished product going to the pros.

Lane would be a surprise but I wouldn't be upset.

4. edward nigma

edward nigma Starter

I believe this comment was directed to my previous response and I would agree. Let's say a more established college player (3/4-year starter) is a better fit for the Titans that a one-year wonder. (Note: I am not saying Lane Johnson is a one year wonder)

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Honestly, unless we just totally reach, I don't think there's many potential #10 picks I'd be too upset with at this point. Warmack, Cooper, Johnson, Ansah, Milliner, Lotulelei, Rhodes.... I'd be content with any of those guys. I'd prefer we not go WR or LB but I won't be flipping out or anything if we do. We've had a great offseason so we can afford to go BPA, whoever that may be.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If the Titans want to dip their toes in that water, it would make a lot more sense to take DJ Fluker in the 2nd round and start him at RG for a few years and then eventually transition him out to RT when Stewart is ready to hang them up.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

People need to [​IMG]

We're not taking an offensive tackle. We're not taking a LB. We're not taking a WR.

8. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

And we are not taking a CB.

9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I high fived the gif because that's awesome. But the only positions that we can rule out taking in the 1st is K, P, QB and RB at this point.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Only because there's not one worthy of a 1st round pick.

Every other position is literally in play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar