Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

With NFLPA Hearing Next Week, All is Quiet Between Titans and McNair

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com A living legend.

    Messages:
    15,776
    Moolah:
    $0
    SUMMARY: Tennessee Titans General Manager Floyd Reese says he doesn't expect any contact from Steve McNair's agent Bus Cook before next week’s grievance hearing. “Bus is an attorney, so I’d be surprised if I heard anything from him before the grievance hearing. But I guess there’s always a chance that he could call,” Reese said. If the Titans win the grievance hearing, the team can technically hold on to McNair until late August. However, they will need money to sign their draft class by mid-July and currently do not have the cap room to sign them. If McNair wins, he'll either be allowed to participate with his teammates in workouts or be released.

    What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.
    #1
  2. fltitan Guest

    Messages:
    0
    At this point I think that if we had any hopes of keeping McNair the FO would have tried to make something happen before the hearing. Looks like we wont make much of an effort to keep him and will wait for the ruling on the grievance to determine when to release him. I hope its August and he gets there very late and not in football shape not because of Steve but to mess the Ravens up as much as possible. IMO Cook and the Ravens had this contract settled long before we gave them permission to talk to each other. Good thing for them the NFL doesnt enforce tampering.
  3. Riverman Dread the red

    Casey
    Messages:
    7,727
    Moolah:
    $2,580
    Yeah, I agree. I imagine we pushed a deal (our final offer) last week and either they are chewing on it (or laughing at it) this week. Just a matter of time before his departure is announced. Obviously, the ruling determines if we'll get anything for him. SAD.
    • Tip Jar Donor

    GoT Strength and Honor

    Bishop
    Messages:
    23,906
    Moolah:
    $162
    well Titans could always allow him into the facility, but make his personal workout watching movies instead of anything physical, make him sit in a wheelchair while moving about ect..

    OK kidding about the wheelchair but you get the point. Even an unfavorable ruling would not force the Titans to release him at this time.
    • Staff / Moderator

    Broken Record Biscuit Eater

    Stewart
    Messages:
    4,285
    Moolah:
    $283
    If we lose out at the hearing and we don't have any sincere intentions of him playing here this year I think he'll be immediately released.

    I think the final offer was probably made yesterday or the day before, so there's still a reasonable chance that McNair is considering the final offer and an agreement could be made before the hearing. Not likely, but possible.
  4. Sunshine Camp Fodder

    Messages:
    989
    Moolah:
    $0
    Couldn't it also be that they are fairly confident of their position and think a favorable ruling for the Titans would put them in a stronger negotiating position with Cook?
  5. Vigsted Starter

    Messages:
    4,220
    Moolah:
    $1,367
    As I see it there are really only 3 scenarios (and all pretty much a win for the Titans):
    1) Baltimore coughs up a 4th (or whatever the Titans are currently asking for)
    2) McNair and the Titans agree on a new contract
    3) Titans settle for the 5th round pick Baltimore already offered
  6. LazyManJackson Starter

    Messages:
    2,986
    Moolah:
    $0
    I think the third option will be taken by the Titans at the moment
    • Staff / Moderator

    TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

    Hunter
    Messages:
    22,798
    Moolah:
    $10,787
    I don't know if that is the case at all. Here's what we have to look at:

    1. Do the Titans truely need the money saved by releasing McNair? $10 mil goes a long way and gives the team the ability to bring in a few more vets but I don't think that'll offset what losing McNair does. If Reese has options, he might do what he said he'd do a while back and cut Sirmon and restructure Bulluck and make another move or two and keep McNair for '06. These moves wouldn't have to happen anytime soon and could go into July unless Reese has a vet he wants. McNair knows that keeping him would kill any leverage to get a long-term contract. Reese could force the Ravens to give up a third-rounder in '07 if they want him this season.

    So the Titans could lose the case, just open the door to McNair and welcome him with open arms. I wouldn't be surprised that they start talking about just playing out the deal again.

    2. Reese takes what he can get from the Ravens and lets McNair go sooner instead of later. I just don't see Reese giving McNair away for a fifth-rounder. But the Ravens will wait this out because they may be able to get McNair for nothing. I can't see Reese allowing this to happen.
  7. Slipjack Guest

    Messages:
    0
    Just a thought. What if FR is hoping Mac gets tired of the waiting game and buys his release like Arrington did.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page