With Fisher gone, the Titans will take a QB at #8

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlitzerTitan

BlitzerTitan Starter

Lets not forget that Oliver Luck, Andrew Lucks father played for the Houston Oilers in the 80's with Munchak and Matthews. Also in an article I read showed that Andrew looks up to Peyton Manning as a mentor and that he helped him with his decision to stay in school for one more year. I'm sure Bud still has ties with the Luck family, and how could Andrew Luck not want to play on the team where his father was on and a mentor he can play against twice a year? I'd say go for the 2012 draft for the true QB of the future, I agree with burner 100%.

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I makes absolutely no difference whether Luck wants to be a Titan (and I think it's farfetched to suggest that he does). He'll go to whoever finishes last. End of story.

3. TorontoTitanFan

Exactly. At one time, most of the league passed on Aaron Rodgers because he had major question marks.

Not even pro scouts with decades of experience know for sure what QBs will be stars. I think it's laughable that people around here think they can judge whether Locker or Gabbert or even Mallett is a lost cause, while at the same time proclaiming Barkley to be a great option in 2012. How much tape has anyone really seen of him?

None of us has that kind of knowledge or ability. We aren't pro scouts.

I think the best plan for the 2011 Titans is to make sure they get the best quarterback available now and then hope for the best. That's all any team can really do.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Very true, there is no guarantee that we'll be in a position to draft a top QB next year. There are ways to move up in the draft, besides it's not like we're going to be an awesome team next year anyway... gotta face facts. Luckily the FO has drafted smartly since MR took over and I think they have seen what drafting the wrong franchise QB can do to a franchise. Drafting VY has set us back at least five years, perhaps seven, do you honestly think they'd take that chance again with this crop? Unless Bud is pulling the strings on our picks, I don't think we'll draft a QB until mid to late rounds. If they target McElroy in the 5th fine, but if a QB is drafted in the first four rounds I think it's a mistake.

5. bmoretitansfan2

bmoretitansfan2 Practice Squad

i still like the idea of suring up our defense in the first round with a LB or DL. i can see us going defense again in the 2nd round but i personally like Andy Dalton...i think he's gonna have a solid career wherever he goes

6. TorontoTitanFan

Why is it a mistake?

This team desperately needs a franchise quarterback. Not drafting one because you are afraid he will bust is the coward's way of running the team. At some point, you have to stick your neck out and take a risk.

The class of quarterbacks this year may not be the best ever, but at least one of these guys is going to be a productive NFL quarterback. The Titans have to identify who it is and go get him.

Playing for Luck is not an option. The chance of getting him is just too tiny. As we've discussed, it won't be possible to trade up for him.

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I get your point, but what if the team genuinely doesn't like any of the ones available? Should you take a QB for the sake of taking a QB instead of waiting for one that you actually like and believe in?

There are worse things in the world than bringing in a guy already in the league.

8. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

ya but anyone who thinks luck is an option is a complete idiot....we have no shot at getting luck so everyone should just quit talking about him....giving that i could see us taking blaine and seeing how he does in preseason behind kerry and then if he does good during the preseason letting him start if he only does okay....then let kerry start until the coaches feel that he can lead the team and put him in...if not draft a qb in the 3rd at least that is when the actual qbs are going to start goign

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

As I said in another post, if the FO feels that none of these guys are worth a 1st round pick then fine. I have no problem with that. I'm just against this idea that we pass on a QB this year simply because we think next year's crop is better (which may not end up being the case anyway). If Reinfeldt & Co. don't think any of these guys can be a franchise QB then I have no problem passing on a QB. I'll take their judgment over mine.

So then we go into the season with a to-be-named veteran and not one, but two young late-round projects? That's a disaster waiting to happen.

10. TorontoTitanFan

No, of course you don't draft a QB if your scouting process says that they are all duds. I have a hard time believing that the Titans won't be interested in at least one of them, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar