With a Number of Moves, Titans Under Cap

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus

maximus Starter

Was the extension of Roos and PacMan based on performance or was it based on trying to get under the cap?

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm hoping that's the thinking. It'd be nice if we were well-prepared for a change, but I'm betting every time is trying to be in that boat.

I want to see the numbers myself. Still can't believe Steve is going to count $23.4M. I hope we get a deal done for around three years, just for the extra relief.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, not just for that, but, you know.

4. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I like them extending Roos and Jones, this makes me think they are not ready to give up on Lamont either. I wonder if they will try to move him to ss if\when Tank leaves. Makes ya wonder why we kept him otherwise...

5. It wasn't extensions. They simply picked up the option bonuses in their rookie contracts. They did that to siphon away some of the cap hit from last season.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

so it spreads out the original SB over an additional year, or was there an additional SB for additional year on the original contract, or am I totally confused

7. smili

smili Starter

Does this mean we're commited to Mac this year for 23 mil on the cap, or are we just giving up $1mil to keep him from becoming a free agent to give time to keep negotiating (similar to how we did Eddie George)? 23 mil is too much of a cap hit, although I don't know what it would be if we just released him.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

lol you just confused me.

9. It just adds a bonus that will be spread out over the next 4 years. The original bonus was already spread out over the 5 years (including the option year).

The idea is to save money up front by moving part of the original bonus to the next year to save immediate cap room. Essentially, it's a split bonus. Of course, Roos technically didn't have a signing bonus to start with, but that doesn't change how the option bonus works.

10. We are locked into part of McNair's cap hit. The $13.5M is split over the life of the contract (which as of now is 1 year). If they gave him a new multi-year deal, part of that wouldn't hit until next year. We will be committed to the $1M once they pay him the bonus.

As for the $9M, we aren't technically committed to it until the season starts. But for now, it counts under the cap unless/until his contract changes somehow (traded, cut, extended).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar