Winter 08 Mailday thread

Discussion in 'Memorabilia' started by titanbuoy, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Sweet patch! It's always nice when they arrive safe and soundly in your mitts. Still no VY jerseys for me, except a Bowman 06 event worn single colour swatch... which isn't overly exciting.

2007 National Treasures just hit the shelves, there should be some awesome stuff in that. Too pricey and too hit or miss for me to buy a box but I'll definitely be snagging a few singles.
  2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

continuing my new found love of Press Pass

Bulluck 2000 Press Pass Standout Signatures 005/100
    [​IMG]

Griffin 07 Press Pass Blue 28/50
    [​IMG]

National Treasures and Triple Threads hit the shelves this week. While NT has some impressive stuff in it I have to say for the most part it's been a huge disappointment. Here's a scan of a recent break posted at BOMB

[​IMG]

This is actually a pretty decent box break, but I find the design extremely bland. And to find crappy sticker autos in a ultra high-end product like NT is unacceptable. There are some on card, auto patch rookies that are numbered to /99, but most of the rookies featues that annoying clear sticker auto. The fact that it looks like the memorabilia cards and the base cards seem to share the same lame design is annoying also. If you're paying big bucks for a box of cards you'd like to think that the base cards would be a little more inspired than that fugly Peyton card

IMO Triple Threads looks a little better...

[​IMG]

To be fair, this scan is part of a case break, so you won't get all of this with a single box. Again with the sticker graphs... booo. But I do like the design a lot more. The poor guy who broke this case pulled three Roy Hall RC autos (ummm who?). I think with both products the collector is much better off picking up the odd single on eBay rather than trying your luck on a box or case.

Let's hope SP Authentic and Exquisite are at least a little better...
  3. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

5. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

titanbuoy.... is there a card.... that has O S U just like that LSU card... Plz say yes because I want it if there is. Ginn , Gonzo and Troy would be on it.
  6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

LT- Yeah, I hate stickers, especially on a premium products. There are exceptions, when a sticker graph is designed into the card they actually can look pretty good. I wouldn't complain about pulling this one...

[​IMG]

Ryan- I'm sure there's an OSU one exactly like that, I couldn't find an image but I did come across this...
    [​IMG]

:)

National Treasures on card quad auto... WOW
    [​IMG]
  7. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Nothing as flashy as most of the above, just a couple of sweet George Webster autos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: this just came in today, and I thought rather than bumping the thread for one card I'd just edit it in here where it seems to fit.

George Webster 1970 Topps Glossy
    [​IMG]

In case you're wondering "Who the **** is George Webster?"

[​IMG]

From Wiki:
    After being selected by the American Football League's Houston Oilers as the fifth player overall in the first round of the 1967 draft, Webster's position was changed. In an exhibition game against the Cowboys, opposing QB Don Meredith completed a square-out to "Bullet" Bob Hayes, a former Olympic speedster. Hayes thought he had broken into the open, but was brought down from behind by #90, Webster, a linebacker.

Webster started at left linebacker and made 15 tackles in his first AFL game. He made his first pro interception that year, helping the Oilers win the Eastern Division title. He was part of a defensive unit that held opponents under 200 points for the season. Webster averaged more than ten tackles a game, and was named the UPI AFL Rookie of the Year. He was named to the AFL All-Star Game 3 times (1967, 1968 and 1969). He is a member of the AFL All-Time Team.

In 1989, Webster applied for benefits as totally and permanently disabled. He was found to have lost most use of a hand, foot, knee and ankle due to football-related injuries but did not meet the NFL's definition of totally disabled.

In 1998, the Supreme Court, let stand a finding by the NFL's retirement board that Webster's disability was not related to his football career.

Football-related disability benefits are $4,000 a month; non-football disability monthly benefits are $750.

In 2002, Webster had his right leg amputated above the knee in Houston because the limb had little circulation despite four previous surgeries.

On April 19, 2007, Webster died in Houston, Texas.
  9. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

10. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

This is sick

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.