Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Gear' started by NYTitansFan, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

must be a PAL thing

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Vista may be an OS written from scratch, but (and please correct me if I am wrong) it is an operating system written primarily in Visual Basic.

On top of that, the .NET framework takes the worst feature of Java (interpreted "bytecode") and leaves the sole advantage (cross-platform source code).

This hearkens back to Microsoft's version of BASIC for the old C64.
    It seems Redmond is relying on advances in processor speed and cheap memory to cover a multitude of programming sins.

BTW, SK, the notes about that allegedly bootable x86 OSX DVD claim that many cannot get it to work.
    I would love to download a working LiveDVD of OSX, so PM me if you can steer me in the right direction.

If you don't get a BSOD, then you are just not stressing your system. I can get a BSOD by simply playing a game of Civ4 with the largest possible map.

OS X borrows liberally from the Unix and Open Source world. The future will end up with most of the best software being distributed as source code for Linux and OS X machines to compile locally. Apple will probably stop making "computers" in the future and focus on hand-held devices. Those Mac Minis looks very cool though. A cluster of them can do some amazing things.

The Gutmann manuscript on Vista's DRM cost spells out why I will avoid M$ in the future.

The main reason I am not a "Mac person" is I insist on the ability to crawl around inside the case, and add peripherals without buying a grounded case and a power supply for every little thing. The fusion of Mac/Linux OS to the component based open PC will result in better machines for everyone.
    Those who just need an eAppliance to surf, read email, and play solitaire can get one for cheap.
    Real world apps that have been dominated on the artistic side by Mac will benefit from hardware flexibility that Mac does not yet allow.

3. No liveDVD for OSX exists as far as I know...

OS X was always UNIX. Specifically, it is built on top of BSD UNIX.

As for Apple's future, I don't see them giving up on Macs anytime soon. That's where they make their much of their money. And even at their marketshare, they can make a lot of money.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You're wrong. All Windows versions (since 95 and onwards at least) are programmet in C/C++.
    Visual Basic is only an "interface" for programming newbies to create applications without having to make advanced API calls to the OS.

Ehh? Yes it's not cross-platform (by design), however C# (developed as a part of .NET) significantly enhances the OOP design of Java, imo.

errr... what sins are you talking about?

Sounds more like a hardware issue. No matter which games I play I never get BSOD. I've only had a freeze twice and that was from Madden, and that **** just isn't made properly, so I wouldn't be quick to fault Microsoft.
    The problem with making an OS is you can only do so much. If an application is horribly written and decides to trash around the memory pretty good, you won't be able to prevent it. I could easily write a program for Mac or Linux that just kept leaking memory until eventually the machine crashes, however that's not the fault of the OS.

Everybody borrows from everybody. Just wait, one day the Mac will support a mouse with more than 1 button :))

5. Uhhh... it has for many years now.

The difference is that Apple designed their original OS to not need 2 buttons. Everything could be done with just 1 button, unlike Windows. Having 2 buttons confuses many non-techies. And if you don't think that's true, you should poll my clients who are generally comprised of regular people...

6. As for the BSODs in XP, it's generally caused by driver issues. But I've seen problems in the Windows kernel itself often enough...

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I know, it was a joke.

What changed then?

Well I'm one of those people who feel we shouldn't cater to the lowest common denominator.

8. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

:scared: If you can't figure out how to right click you don't belong on a computer.....damn I would hate to see these people drive!

9. I figured it was, but you never can tell...

Nothing has changed as far as the OS itself. You still don't need the 2nd button. But they set it up so that people who wanted to use the 2nd mouse button (myself included) could do so. They even stared selling their own 2-button (sort of) mouse for the first time last year...

And that's why so many people still use a command-line interface, right? Simplicity is a selling point...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar