Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Gear' started by NYTitansFan, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Ryudo The wall crusher!

McNair 2
    Moolah:
    $367
    I have had XP for 4 years and NEVER had BSOD ..BSOD has not been a common problem for windows since the win 95-98 days...and watch as that PC gets slower and slower since over time any windows OS will be hogging that system more and more.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Childress79 Loungefly ®

George
    Moolah:
    $632
    Make a 30-40gb partition on a clean hard drive.Your windows OS will sit on the faster outer edge of the drive & being partitioned it will never slow the PC down.

A daily reboot is always advisable with windows if it isn't partitioned off on the HD.
  2. Ryudo The wall crusher!

McNair 2
    Moolah:
    $367
    Why waste all that space? just re format every once in a while.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Childress79 Loungefly ®

George
    Moolah:
    $632
    Because spending the best part of a day formatting & re-installing everything is a real PIA.
  3. Vigsted Starter

Moolah:
    $1,430
    Been running XP for... what? going on 5 years now and I've never had a BSOD and the only times I have had to reinstall was when I switched motherboards.

Rebooting Windows once every couple of days is advisable, unless you have a good memory defragger/cleaner. But I seriously suspect that is the case for any OS running alot of applications.
  4. Ryudo The wall crusher!

McNair 2
    Moolah:
    $367
    See I run cCleaner daily and defrag every once in a while so I pretty much keep it clean.
    • Tip Jar Donor

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole

McNair
    Moolah:
    $1,479
    I had XP for a while, and I never got BSOD. However, it did tell me that everything I did was illegal and shut itself down. Apparently, I committed a federal offense by clicking the "quick reply" button.
  5. Starkiller 9

McNair
    Moolah:
    $11
    BSODs still happen, but they are pretty rare in XP. Much better than Win95/98/ME where a program crash was far more likely to bring down the entire system. Same comparison between OS X and OS 9 (and earlier) on a mac.

As for keeping XP up and running, the best suggestion I can give is to get a good imaging tool (I like Acronis TrueImage) for backups so you can just reinstall the entire C: drive without having to reinstall all your programs. Just partition your drive (or get a 2nd drive) so your documents are on a different partition from Windows and your programs. Then create a backup image of the partition with just Windows and your apps (not that you shouldn't backup your documents, too). And between backups, just use CCleaner to keep the barnacles from building up.
  6. Puck Pro Bowler

Moolah:
    $103
    :ha:
    Windows users have all the fun
    • Tip Jar Donor

Gunny Lord and Master

Wright
    Moolah:
    $4,383
    ^ Except no one I know has ever done that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.