Windows 8

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Preditan, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preditan

Preditan --- --- --- --- Staff

I've been thinking about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but I am not really sure if I like the way it looks without the start menu. It seems like it was meant for tablets more than computers. However, it is on sale for $39 right now (I think this runs through January 2013). The reviews I have read so far have been fairly positive, with people saying it will take some time to get used too. So...that leads me to this question:

Does anyone have Windows 8? If so, is it worth upgrading over Windows 7?

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

I'm about to get a Surface tablet, can't wait

3. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

one of my friends is a computer science professor at a college.. here's what he said when i asked him about it
    "not worse than 7.. boots faster and snappier than 7 was... UI takes some getting used to but nothing he cant adjust to (being a CS prof).. some changes annoying... focus on apps, normal users its good, power users not so much... next few years, normal users will be doing all computing on tablets and smart phones... power users, will need standard pc capabilities... this is how command prompt only users felt when the first GUIs came out, unfortunately progress is painful sometimes.."
    basically what he said in 6 tweets...

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Im in no rush to upgrade, too many bugs.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

My dad has windows 8, definitely takes some getting used to. But he likes it.

6. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

I'm using Win8 right now, I did the upgrade for $14.99. I have been using the Enterprise Evaluation for a little bit now and I like it myself. I've not had any problems, but it does get some getting used to.

Titaneers post was pretty close to what I've been saying about Windows 8 as well. Seems a little faster, feels a lot different, but if you're open to learning the new setup, it does work rather well. Optimized for touch, but can work with keyboard and mouse. Touchscreen monitors are under $300 for a 21" (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA), and they'll continue to drop as they become used more and more.

I would suggest trying the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation first, it's 90 day free.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar