Windows 8/ Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Tennessy XO, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Tennessy XO

Tennessy XO @TennessyXO

I was blessed with a Surface tablet for Christmas.

Quick thoughts in case anyone else was looking at them.

Windows 8/RT - excellent so far, the start screen with live tiles is the best thing Microsoft has come up with in a long time. Boots up really fast.

Hardware - metal tablet, solid kick stand but you can't adjust the angle. The screen is Gorilla Glass V2. The touch keyboard/cover is awesome and easy to use. I tried the type keyboard and touch keyboards, touch is better. Multi touch mouse pad.

Screen - extremely accurate touch controls, excellent screen, not retina display awesome but close.

The app store currently sucks but it is growing.

As a tablet I prefer it to the iPad. My girlfriend got the newest iPad for Christmas and I honestly like the Surface more.

It is really more of a portable laptop. It has nearly all of the functionality of a PC but it is also a tablet. Office 2013 comes on it. I could see it replacing my laptop.

Microsoft Surface A-

The app store needs work but I love this thing.
  2. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

My laptop is on it's way out and I've been thinking long and hard about buying one of these. If I'm going to get a tablet, I want to be able to fully replace my laptop(or come pretty damn close), not just supplement it, thus I don't really want an iPad.

From all the reviews I've read the Surface hasn't done that well.
  3. Tennessy XO

Tennessy XO @TennessyXO

Sounds like you need to look at the ultra books.

They are NICE
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow CEO of PPO

:disappointed:
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. Tennessy XO

Tennessy XO @TennessyXO

:(

Best way I know to describe it. A smaller tablet/laptop hybrid. More functional than an iPad, less functional than a PC.
  6. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

I haven't checked it out but I am on an Apple boycott due to their senseless lawsuits and small business harassments. I can't help but notice that Microsoft took some clues from Apple's marketing department when writing commercials for it.
  7. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Bright colors, trendy music and random dancing? Yep.
  8. avvie

And no narrative. Samsung took the lead when the i5 insulted our intelligence with it's stupid narrative: "...there's more of it..and...less of it??...."
  9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

I was proud that Microsoft finally figured it out- Bright colors and catchy music... Apple took over the world by simply doing that. (and no, there wasn't much else to it)

I own apple products (designer- not much choice), but their marketing is the sole reason they did so well. They tricked dumb consumers in to thinking "duuurrr what??! It just works??!!... And it's preeeetttyyyy"
  10. avvie

Queue this classic nugget:

• High Five High Five x 1